We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luau

Which Napili-Honokowai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Petersburg...
reviews: 127
Luau

We are staying in condo in Dec and would like to take in a Luau. How do we arrange this when not staying at a resort? If you've done this would you recommend it? We are traveling for our 40 year wedding anniversary; thinking a Luau would be a great idea but would welcome suggestions.

Nanaimo, Canada
reviews: 28
1. Re: Luau

It doesn't matter if you are staying at a resort or not. They take everybody's money!

the two most popular ones on here are Feast at Lele and the Old Lahaina Luau. The FAL is not a luau so much as it is a Polynesian revue. A very good one though. The bonus to the FAL is that you get your own table, your own server. OLL is more traditional, a buffet style, and you are at a big table with other people. It does not have the fire dancer as part of the show as that is not Hawaiian. Check out the menu for the FAL though. That may be the deciding factor for you. Lots of choices at the OLL buffet.

Booking either of these events early, like now, will guarantee you a great table.

Happy Anniversary too!

St. Petersburg...
2. Re: Luau

Thank you; this is great information and I'll check both out ASAP :-) We are very excited!!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
reviews: 2
3. Re: Luau

Happy Anniversary. Take J0an's advice, she's right on!!

Boston, MA
reviews: 5
4. Re: Luau

Old Lahaina Luau, while a buffet and having shared tables, it have very good food and the tables are for 8, so it's not as bad as some of the ones you see on TV. The show is also extremely well done and really tells a story, plus no silly tourist tricks (i.e., no one is brought up on stage and put in a grass skirt)

I have every confidence that you would enjoy either Old Lahaina Luau or Feast at Lele, both are excellent and worth a visit.

St. Petersburg...
5. Re: Luau

Thank you so much for the advise; I went on the site of the OLL and read great reviews and I'm going for it

:-) I think the best way to get our feet wet in Hawaii is this Luau on our 3rd night there; our anniversary night - it will be a great gift for him; give us the story of the Island and I'm so excited I can't wait. I so much appreciate all of your suggestions; I'm going all in with the front row seating, especially now knowing no one will be called up - Yikes!

Norcal
reviews: 135
6. Re: Luau

Recommend table seating....

I would not advise ground seating at the front unless you are young, flexible and have good knees with a strong back.... sitting like that for an extended period will make you groan at the end of the evening....

St. Petersburg...
7. Re: Luau

Okay; that's a good thing to think about. We're both okay with knees and that but you're right - that's a long time to sit and I will need help getting up at the end of the evening, especially with the drinks :-)

reviews: 740
8. Re: Luau

Let us know how you like OLL. We wanted to be served courses so we chose Feast @ Lele and were very impressed with all aspects of this luau.

Aloha and enjoy your travels! :)

Edited: 11:31 am, May 22, 2013
St. Petersburg...
9. Re: Luau

I definately will let you know and post after our return; that you for your best wishes :-)

Aloha!!

Blackwood, New...
reviews: 33
10. Re: Luau

We cheated and watched the FLLfrom Betty's. The FLL presentation is different as well. It is spread out in, I think 5 sections in between serving the food. This is strictly a matter of preference but I preferred the OLL and the Drums of the Pacific. The setting for the FLL is probably the best. While the other shows run parallel to the beach, the FLL uses the Pacific as the backdrop. It starts at sunset and begins with tthe canoes arriving on the beach. Remember, you are in Maui and everything is good....just different.