We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

Which Napili-Honokowai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

Visiting Hawaii for 6 weeks in Oct 2013. Needless to say the budget has to be tight. Has anyone ever stayed at the Outrigger Royal Kahana? I'm getting a really good rate there $95. Some others I've found a bit higher price are Hale Ono Loa, Kulakane, and Papakea.

We aren't too fussy - just 2 adults. Looking to sightsee more than ocean swim. We have tented through Europe for 3 months so -- like I say - not too fussy!

Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

I have not stayed at Royal Kahana I was booked there for june but changed to the Nohonani in Honokowai because I really wanted a low rise buliding and Royal Kahana is not one.

Pretty much all the complexes in Honokowai are low rises if it's important to you it is to us.

I have looked at the Kulakane and it looks nice it's a smaller complex which we also like and I think they are all oceanfront if I remember right.

Papakea is low rise but pretty spread out and not all units are oceanfront.

Good luck and 6 weeks sounds wonderful.

Level Contributor
4,164 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

Papakea is the better of the group if you can afford it. All these are "modest" properties but Papakea has always been know as being one of the best in this price range. Unit's and property are always well kept by owners.

Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
777 posts
99 reviews
3. Re: Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

I have stayed at the Royal Kahana Outrigger 5 times and we love it! The location is right on the beach. There are shops, grocery stores, restaurants, and great beaches within 5 miles. We love the west side of Maui and being right on the ocean. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. If you can get a $95 rate, run with it! We stay during the holidays and end up paying at least $185+ for an Ocean Front 1 bedroom/1 bathroom. Just for my own info, what type of room did you get for $95?

Edited: 2:04 pm, March 05, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
478 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

We stayed at Papakea in late January and if you get an updated unit, they're fine. We got ours through Chasing Rainbows after looking at it on VRBO.

A few things to keep in mind:

The buildings are,laid out in a rough W shape. If you're in the back of the property, you get a lot of reflected noise from the other buildings. It was enough at times to make us want to leave the lanai.

It is a 3 story complex and there are elevators which make packing your luggage and groceries easy.

Parking can be tight in the evenings, but we always found a spot reasonably close to the unit.

Pictures on VRBO will nearly always include a shot of a nice beach that doesn't exist currently - there is a sea wall fronting the property. There are beaches very nearby that can be accessed by foot though.

The location is very convenient to some shops and restaraunts. There is a Farmer's market within an easy walk as well.

There is a storage facility across the street that will rent you a locker for your luggage on your departure day so you don't have to keep it in your car. Papakea will not store your luggage at checkout.

2 posts
5. Re: Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

The qoute is for a studio. Which is fine with us.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

Aloha betzjohn

As someone who loves Papakea and has friends who love Kulakane, I would say your $95 at Royal Kahana would be well spent. As was said, nice area, and you will be out doing other things much of the time.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

We have stayed at Hale Ono Loa and love it .... great bang for your buck. We have stayed in two different one bedroom and my sister has stayed in 2 different two bedrooms. here is the latest 1 bedroom we rented and we have it rented again for December... http://www.vrbo.com/350079. The owners are terrific to work with!

Edited: 3:45 pm, March 05, 2013
8. Re: Condo in Honokowai vs Kahana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, December 16, 2014