We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

New York City, New...
Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

I read all the reasons to pay for the Disney Dining Plan (DDP) and the reasons for paying out of pocket (OOP). What am I curious about is what might be the % of those that get the DDP vs. those those that don't in particular categories (singles, couples, families w/kids, families w/adults)?

pa
1. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

Welcome to the forum

We go often, with a varied number of persons, Adults and Kids. Our biggest savings using the Dining Plan is when there are 2 Adults and at least two kids, especially if the kids are 3 - 9

I believe that those that say it isn't worth it are speaking from experience of only being 2 Adults, I could be wrong but that has been the feeling I get for quite some time here on the forum

It is always best to have a look at the menus, add up what you "think" you may eat, include the snacks and all the refills you can get with the Resort Refillable Mug ( I drink a lot of coffee, that adds up :)

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

North Bay, Canada
reviews: 75
2. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

Always get it, always save 2 adults 1 child.

And yes like partypa said that child gets the most savings.

Valley Stream, NY
reviews: 33
3. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

I don't know how you could find out the percentages of each group. The people on trip advisor are a small percentage of the people that go to Disney. In our case we always spend less out of pocket and yes we're all adults :)

Tellico Plains...
reviews: 33
4. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

My family = Mom + Dad + Teenage Daughter + Teenage daughter friend + possibly additional friend. All Adult price over the age of 10. Always get dining plan for the fact of less stress of what everyone is ordering, plus they have the freedom to try new foods the otherwise would not.

We do save money with the deluxe dining plan. We love places that have good food not just character meals. We eat what we like and very often we have a blast using the last of the snack credits to take home to savor. Also we love to drink hot choc. from our mugs at home.

I also find that people who are on the dining plan is less critical over the little details. I also read about people who would have been upset had they paid cash and not just a dining credit. It gives me a more clear picture of how true the review really is.

Not sure how much we actually save although I know it would be at least 15-20% But the fun that it adds to the vacation and the stress it takes away is worth every penny. We the Parents have as much fun as the kids when the bill is already paid except the tipping. Which I think we are also more generous at times due to the fact we are not feeling the pinch of the bill.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
reviews: 14
5. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

We always get the dining plan, 2 parents and 2 college age kids. Saves us stress and money every time.

Donna

Horsham, United...
reviews: 35
6. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

2 adults, sometimes more adults, never get the plan. As I've said on numerous occasions we rarely eat desserts. don't drink loads of soft drinks and enjoy a bottle of wine with our meal so it would never work for us.

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World
reviews: 79
7. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

We're 2 adults and 2 kids and the DDP isn't a good deal for us because, like below, we like drinking water with meals and rarely eat desserts with meals (we indulge later, gives us a natural break in the action).

Disney doesn't report data such as percentage of DDP users, so unfortunately it's an unanswerable question.

Fort Worth
8. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

We always purchase the deluxe dining plan; 2 adults, one child 10+. (we often travel with additional adults) We save money on the entree & appetizers alone. We are all water drinkers, during meals. We consider the snacks (morning coffee, popcorn, gifts to take home) an added bonus. Never eat dessert and never consider it when crunching numbers. We've already saved money on our signature meals.

Alcohol is an additional cost for everyone, so it has no impact when considering the dining plan.

Edited: 7:52 am, September 10, 2013
Boston...
reviews: 124
9. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

Never use the dining plan, but like others, I am a water drinker and do not get desserts with my meals. I actually usually order a kids meal at quick serve too because I think the portions for adults are just too much (who needs 8 chicken nuggets??).

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 9
10. Re: Distrubution of DDP/out if pocket dining

We (myself, hubby and 9 year old son) just went for our first trip to Disney and got the dining plan - it's possible that we spent more than if had we bought our meals in cash, however, we also liked having bought and paid for it in advance (kindof like going on an all-inclusive holiday which is what we are used to) so we only had to pay for our wine and tips. I also drink water and not soft drinks but was able to substitute for a capuccino after dinner so that was a nice treat. Did find dessert was too much at the quick service (lunch) but enjoyed having dessert at dinner. Not sure if we would buy the DP next time as then my son will have to pay as an adult and he is a very small eater. Also, prior to our vacation, I did consult with a few friends who have been to Disney and all of them got the dining plan.