We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

Which Disney World hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
reviews: 12
3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

Looking for any advice from families with young kids (5-8). We have gone the last 2years in a row and are considering this year again. The first time was new and magical, but the second the kids kind of had an entitled, been there done that attitude. Anyone with similar experience?

North Bay, Canada
reviews: 68
1. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

Our 7 year old started going at 2 and has gone every year some twice a year we just finished her 6th trip. She loves every trip as if it were her first. We try to stay at new resort eat at new restaurants (and our favorites). In all her trips we've yet to see illuminations (next time I hope). We always see new characters. We make the best of our time some days just enjoying the pool.

Valley Stream, NY
reviews: 31
2. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

Is there somewhere else you (the parents) want to go? Maybe take a year off, try something different, then back again the next year :)

Ventnor City, New...
Destination Expert
for Disney World
reviews: 53
3. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

We went three times in four years stating when our kids were 5 and 2.5. We didn't have as much a problem with the 'been there, done that" attitude. Part of that, I guess, is that we started so young, so there were rides they were too small for that they could look forward to being big enough to do the next time.

One of the reasons we returned to Disney world so much is that at those ages we couldn't find a better and more enjoyable place to take them. We live in a beach resort town, so taking them to a beach vacation would have bored them to death. We thought they were too young for museums and more urban pursuits, and still too young for an adventure sports vacation (hiking, rafting, etc.).

pittsburgh
4. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

Good points, thanks!

Manchester
reviews: 10
5. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

We have done 3 years in a row with our three kids, so i know what you mean, My youngest was 9 on our last trip, Although we had a good time at both Disney Parks and universal Parks and thewaterparks etc it has been a bit too familiar, Thinking of giving it a miss this year and maybe returning next year or the year after that as i don't think you appreciate it so much when it becomes too familiar. Sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder, I don't think you can ever recapture the first time feeling again.Maybe its back to whats left of my beloved Greece or Cyprus this year. Or watching the rain at home.

Edited: 1:32 pm, March 31, 2013
Wheaton, Illinois
reviews: 30
6. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

I thought this was an interesting post, as we travel a lot with my young daughter and I do worry that she might feel that sense of entitlement someday. As of now, at 3.5, every time we get on an airplane it's an adventure and she really loves every trip, even if it's back to San Diego (great family vacation spot) to once again visit a good friend of mine there or off to Seattle for the 3rd time in a year to visit my brother's family. She knows we're headed back to DW for her 4th time, and she can hardly wait, but again, she's still pretty young and definitely feels "the magic". If you want to try something different, we really love Kiawah Island as a family vacation destination. We rent a house on or near the beach and some bicycles and just have fun together. It is definitely a more relaxed vacation than hitting the theme parks, but we manage to stay busy with all of the activities on the island, and Charleton close by, and our week there always goes by too quickly.

Edited: 4:40 pm, April 01, 2013
Elk Grove Village...
reviews: 58
7. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

We're going in May for what will be our 4-year-old's 7th trip and our 22-month-old's 5th trip. Our older daughter loves every minute of it. We don't fight a sense of entitlement with her. It is more like she is going to back to visit friends she hasn't seen in 6 months. I think one of the things that helps (and will continue to help) with that is that we have always gone with at least some extended family. So getting to spend time with grandma and grandpa or aunts and uncles or cousins is a big part of the fun, too.

South Bend, Indiana
reviews: 131
8. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

This december will be my 9 year old DD's 4th trip in 5 years. She loves every trip we take. I change things up on each one. the 1st was MK, Epcot and HS. The 2nd one was MK and Universal. the 3rd was MK, AK, Epcot, HS and Typhoon Lagoon. The trip coming up is short, only MK and HS during the holidays.

2014- We are doing MK, HS, Epcot, AK, IoA, Blizzard Beach and Sea World, along with day trips to both coasts.

2015 - Disney Cruise and Vero Beach Resort, plus Kennedy Space Center.

2016 - I'm hoping for Disneyland and California Adventure.

Just try to keep it fresh by changing things up.

Edited: 9:50 am, April 02, 2013
pittsburgh
9. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

Thanks Frank D. We are considering december this year too. Have you done Legoland? We havent before, might be a good change?

Orlando, Florida
10. Re: 3rd time in 3 years with young kids?

you could also do a day at seaworld.