We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 38
Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

We (2 adults) will have a day at Animal Kingdom in late March. I've been studying the Unofficial Guide, but does anyone have any helpful hints, warnings or insights for touring the park? I'm thinking we'll grab a quick lunch on-site but do dinner elsewhere near our hotel.

I'm not big on thrill rides - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is about at my tolerance limit - but Dinosaur intrigues me. How do they compare? Am I likely to be really unhappy on Dinosaur? (OK, so I'm a wimp. Back to the Future at Universal almost did me in.)

Has anyone used a UG Touring Plan for AK? Good? Bad? (I had good luck with their plans for the original 3 parks way back when.)

Mahalo nui loa for your help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
reviews: 38
11. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

OK, sounds like Flame Tree or Rainforest Cafe for lunch. I was thinking maybe Tusker House for dinner, but the review comments about long waits has kind of scared me off. I'm still thinking maybe we'll just go up to International Drive to eat. Or maybe Downtown Disney. We're staying at the airport Marriott.

I think I'll scope out the rides before getting on. I'm surprised to hear that EE is milder than Dinosaur. Not sure I'm up for going backwards in the dark.

Valley Stream, NY
reviews: 33
12. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

Dinosaur is fine, I go on it and I don't go on Big Thunder Mountain. Wait till you see Everest (I would not call it mild), it's way too high for me (but i'm a scaredy cat). We ate at the Rainforest in AK, kind of expensive for lunch and too time consuming for me, wouldn't bother again. You could have dinner there on the way out :)

Louisville, Kentucky
reviews: 4
13. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

did you ride Star Tours? my husband has vertigo issues and he doesn't tolerate Star Tours( which I understand is milder than Back to The Future - we've never been to Universal) and he also won't ride Big Thunder Mountain either (doesn't like anything like a roller coaster). But he really likes Dinosaur!!

Boston...
reviews: 5
14. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

If you want to eat dinner at Tusker House and are worried about the long waits, just make an ADR...you can always cancel it

Valley Stream, NY
15. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

I do ride star tours, love it!! I did hear people saying they felt dizzy afterwards :)

(I get car/bus sick even at my age...lol always have from childhood, but those rides don't bother me at all. The only ride that made me feel ill was the Mummy at Universal, won't be doing that again!!)

Sudbury...
reviews: 57
16. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

Because we were a multi generational group with a little one and a person who does not like roller coaster type rides, we liked It's Rough to Be a Bug in Discovery Island, the Maharajah Jungle Trek in Asia, plus the Safari earliest is best as precious posters said, and Lion King is really the best! We ate at Restaurantosaurus which was fast, easy, healthy with great salads, refillable mugs, and Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with apple slices. When it is hot and humid, drink lots of fluids and there is a small splash park in Dinoland.

Louisville, Kentucky
reviews: 4
17. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

So if you love Star Tours, I'd say go for it!! Let us know if you like Dinosaur!!

Boston...
18. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

princess, would you do the Teacups? LOL

Tonawanda, New York
19. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

I haven't been on Dinosaur in years, but I remember thinking it was scary. Maybe you could scope it out on youtube. I will do any rollercoaster before I'd do the teacups, I can't stand the spinning.

Valley Stream, NY
20. Re: Animal Kingdom - Helpful Hints?

absolutely no tea cups or anything that goes around and around and around....blech