We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?

Boston...
reviews: 52
Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?

Hi! I will be visiting in mid-September for one week and looking for a vacation rental. We would like to swim, or at least play in the water. Is Lake Michigan too cold? Should we find a rental with a heated swimming pool? Also, which beaches are best from New Buffalo to Saugatuck? Any suggestions for vacation rentals? Looking for a laid back, friendly area with plenty to do in terms of sunny and rainy day activities. Would like to be close to town, although don't necessarily need to be IN town. Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Michigan USA
reviews: 3
1. Re: Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?

Weather and Lake temps are always a crap shoot in any given month. It could be warm, it could be cold, you might be able to swim, you might not. :-( Historically, you could probably play in the water in mid-September and swimming would be up to what you can tolerate. Personally, I don't get in unless it's over 75 degrees, which means almost never! LOL

I'm biased to South Haven beaches, so I would vote for staying here and making day trips to Saugatuck, New Buffalo, St. Joseph, etc. Plenty to do rain or shine. Others will weigh in I'm sure.

Check on vrbo.com for home rentals and there are the usual chain hotels available in South Haven (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Suites.).

Boston...
2. Re: Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?

Thank you! We found a home rental on VRBO located near South Beach in South Haven with a heated pool and hot tub. Can walk to both beach and downtown. Looking forward to it!

Boston...
3. Re: Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?

Update: Our trip to South Haven was fantastic! South Beach was really wonderful. Water temps 65-69 degrees all week (very comfortable) and the swimming was great. We enjoyed the beach and the heated pool and hot tub at our rental. September was a great time to visit. Also found the beaches in St. Joseph and Saugatuck to be stunning in their own unique ways. Each community has a distinctly different personality. South Haven was the perfect choice for us. What an amazing coast!

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 1,029
4. Re: Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?

Glad you had a wonderful time on your SW MI vacation and found a great rental that met all your needs! Would you be willing to share the VRBO link? Sounds ideal. Come back someday!

Edited: 11:28 am, October 01, 2013
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Saint Joseph
reviews: 35
5. Re: Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?

Glad you had a great time. Yes the beaches are stunning! Thanks for reporting back.

Boston...
6. Re: Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?

Here's the link to the vacation rental we enjoyed so much:

www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p313907

The home is much nicer in person, with a homey, warm feel to it. Within easy walking distance to south beach (.5 mile) and downtown (.5 mile). The owner is really wonderful to deal with.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
reviews: 184
7. Re: Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?

you should see the coastline now---looks like the arctic, and that's on the illinois side. from what i can tell, from the michigan side, you see ice for as far as they eye can see!!!!

Reply to: Mid-September Visit -- Pool or beach for swimming?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Berrien County