We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private guided tour in Volterra

Which Volterra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay
reviews: 21
Private guided tour in Volterra

We have just enjoyed a wonderful walking tour of Volterra. Virginia Prato met us in front of the Palazzo dei Priori. For more than two hours we strolled Volterra as Valerie told us local stories, explained about specific art pieces we viewed and showed us the amazing historical and cultural treasures of Volterra. This so much better than struggling with a guidebook or an audio guide! Virginia answered our questions with knowledge, expertise and her obvious love for this part of Italy.

Savannah, GA
reviews: 15
1. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

Thank you so much for that report. Volterra is so wonderful to visit, but a guide would surely enhance the experience. Did Virginia take you into the Etruscan Museum?

Thunder Bay
2. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

I had talked with Virginia while arranging the tour about what we wanted to see so I think she can accommodate whatever you request. We were only with her for two hours but she showed us where the Etruscan Museum is located and encouraged us to visit it in the afternoon. She did take us all over town, various churches as well as the duomo, the roman theatre and up to the fortezza. We also visited the only working alabaster workshop inside the walls.

Moscow
reviews: 3
3. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

Thank you for that post. A couple of questions: How can one get in touch with Virginia ? Also, do you have a hotel recommendation for Volterra ?

Thank you.

Thunder Bay
4. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

Hello,

Here is Virginia's email:

"v p" <virginiaprato80@hotmail.com>,

I can't really recommend a hotel in Volterra because the one we stayed at was a disappointment: Hotel Villa Porto Al Arco. The location was great but it is very definitely a 3 star and had a few extra quirks, but was inexpensive so may be fine for some folks.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 48
5. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

It is a few years now, but we stayed at that hotel and quite enjoyed it. It is decorated in a country style, had fabulous breakfasts in the garden and also had parking.

Moscow
6. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

Thank you very much. I will definitely contact Virginia.

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
7. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

@TAF Moscow: We've always been fond of the San Lino (www.hotelsanlino.com).

Moscow
8. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

Thank you. It looks nice. One more question - is it possible to get to Volterra from Rome by taking the train to Cecina and then a cab from there ?

Micciano
reviews: 8
9. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

good morning!

Yes, normally it is possible, but there are no so much bus going from Cecina to volterra, so You must have a look.

NW Indiana
reviews: 9
10. Re: Private guided tour in Volterra

Volterra by private guide is the way to go! My friend and I read about one in Rick Steve's book that departs outside the alabaster shop next to the bus drop-off every evening. No reservations necessary and only 10 euros per person. We learned so much about the history of this ancient town. We'd love to go back one day! Our guide was Franc and while from France originally he lives in Volterra now and it's obvious how much he loves his adopted town.