We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel To Volterra

Which Volterra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maplewood, New...
Travel To Volterra

Want to take the train or bus from Florence to Volterra. Has any one done this and which would be the best way. I tried to check the train schedules and they were only in Italian and I could not find any connections to Volterra.

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
1. Re: Travel To Volterra

It's not easy to get from Florence to Volterra via public transportation. You'll have to change at Colle Val d'Elsa (allow time to walk through its wondrousness!). You'll probably also have to take two bus lines (www.sitabus.it, and then www.cpt.pisa.it for more information).

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
2. Re: Travel To Volterra

It's very easy to get from Florence to Volterra by bus, if you know where to find the schedules! Here's how (done it myself last year):

1. SITA bus from Florence to Colle Val d'Elsa (main stop)

2. Cross the street in Colle Val d'Elsa

3. CPT Pisa bus from Colle Val d'Elsa to Volterra

NOTE: Because of the very tight connection at Colle Val d'Elsa in the morning (at 9:45 a.m.), if you don't have time to purchase the CPT Pisa bus ticket from the newsstand in Colle, the bus driver will sell you a ticket for a small surcharge. If you take an earlier SITA bus, you'll have a 90-minute connection.

www.sitabus.it

sitabus.it/sita-toscana/Firenze-Siena2010.pdf

www.cpt.pisa.it

www.cpt.pisa.it/orari/extra/E770I_FR.pdf (Monday through Saturday)

www.cpt.pisa.it/orari/extra/E770I_FS.pdf (Sunday only)

BEWARE: Note that the 8:40 a.m. SITA bus from Florence to Colle runs Monday through Friday only. The connecting CPT Pisa bus at 9:45 a.m. runs daily except Sunday.

If you MISS the connection in Colle, the next bus to Volterra is FIVE hours later! When I did this trip last year on a Monday, the CPT Pisa bus driver WAITED for connecting passengers arriving in Colle on the SITA bus from Florence. I don't know whether this is official policy, but it makes sense, since there are so few buses between Colle and Volterra.

Edited: 2:36 pm, January 26, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
3. Re: Travel To Volterra

Tell the SITA bus driver that you want to connect to the CPT Pisa bus from Colle to Volterra. He'll make sure you get off at the correct stop in Colle, and he'll honk his horm to alert the other driver that there are connecting passengers. Do not MISS the connecting bus, because waiting five hours in Colle is dreary to say the least (you would have time to see the old part of town, but it's quite a walk).

Florence Italy
reviews: 2
4. Re: Travel To Volterra

In other words, unless you get it just right, it ain't easy.

Maplewood, New...
5. Re: Travel To Volterra

Thank you very much for the info

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
6. Re: Travel To Volterra

I would recommend that you rent a car. That way you don't have to worry about tight connections in Colle di Val d'Elsa. You could do a nice circular trip, going to Volterra via Colle and returning along the road to the west.

Maplewood, New...
7. Re: Travel To Volterra

Thanks so mush for the detailed info. Do you know how often the return buses run back to Florence on the same day.

Maplewood, New...
8. Re: Travel To Volterra

Any suggestions on car rental places in Florence to rent a car for the day.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
9. Re: Travel To Volterra

AutoEurope is an agency that arranges cheap rentals with the major companies. The UK site is sometimes cheaper than the US one, so check out both www.autoeurope.com and www.auto-europe.co.uk

Detroit
reviews: 8
10. Re: Travel To Volterra

Can anyone please assist in updating me/everyone on the most current bus schedules to get from Florence to Volterra? I understand that you need to take that Sita from Florence/Siena and switch to the CTA to Volterra.

What I can't lock down are the current schedules. Only thing that keeps coming up are dates 2009.

Thanks!! I'm leaving in a few days and this has been weighing heavy on the planning.