We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Volterra

Which Volterra hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 11
Day Trip to Volterra

I will be driving from Pisa to Siena in May, and would like to stop and spend the day in Volterra. About how long do I need to see the town, and where would be the best place to stop and have lunch?

Volterra, Italy
reviews: 2
1. Re: Day Trip to Volterra

Hi TGS-DALLAS,

To visit Volterra I would say a couple of hours, there again if there is good weather you may want to stay longer and just enjoy the wonderful views!

There is a restaurant about 10mins by car from Volterra on your way to Siena, lovely meals at a reasonable price, extra good service too.

You can see it here:

www.molinodera.com

If you are needing a map of the area, let me know.

Bye

Mansfield U.K.
reviews: 7
2. Re: Day Trip to Volterra

TGS, you are fortunate to be able to take your time with Volterra and not have the constraints of public transport or much worse a tour guide in a hurry.

Volterra is like a single malt whiskey, must be sipped and taken slowly it is full of little gems set in a totally unspoilt Tuscan hill town.

A full day it certainly needs and a good specific guide-book read well before the visit would repay.

I found no problem with somewhere to eat there are several tratoria serving the genuine article. I'm sorry I cannot name the one I used as I never notice their names but busy and full of locals is good enough for me.

My regret, amongst others, is not going into the Palazzo Priori and spending too much time marveling at the shops of carved alabaster.

By-the-way watch out near the Medici Fortress it is now an Italian top security prison.

Wish I was returning,

Bob (not to the jail that is !)

Volterra, Italy
3. Re: Day Trip to Volterra

Hi itrav 31,

I would have loved to have said to spend a full day in Volterra, even that isn't enough! I suggested 2 hours as a minimum for these people who are travelling from Pisa to Siena.

There are also the etruscan tombs, the medieval Roman Theatre and yes Piazza dei Priori, for me the most beautiful medieval piazza.

It is so true itrav, Volterra is situated in the true unspoiled Tuscan countryside. From my bedroom and bathroom windows I have the most beutiful view of Volterra.

Do come back Itrav, you have an appointment with the Piazza dei Priori!!

Ciao

DFW, TEXAS
reviews: 57
4. Re: Day Trip to Volterra

We are going to Volterra again, this time for 2 days. It is a lovely town that is missed as most people go to Lucca, Siena, Pisa or San Gimgiano. They have a lot of shops filled with Alabaster items, some are just amazing pieces of art. They also have an Estucean museum. We are also going to Siena at the end of May for 4 days then up to Volterra. Thanks to the person who posted the restaurant, I will have to put in my little notebook for reference.

Volterra also has a prison as you walk around the area of the old Roman ruins, we thought it was an old fortress of some kind to visit, and I guess we found out differently after we read the sign on the door. It looks cool from the outside, what a view the prisoners must have.

Volterra, Italy
5. Re: Day Trip to Volterra

I have heard that the prisoners in Volterra prepare meals for the public. They don't do it all the time. In March they prepared a meal for people interested. I think that the site where you can find out about it is:

www.slowfood.com

or

www.slowfood.it

I don't have time at the moment to check it out, but will do so.

Bye

worcs
6. Re: Day Trip to Volterra

Having just returned from a week in Volterra, i would have to say you can easily spend an enjoyable day wandering around the walled city. OK, so a week is probably too long, in fact, the Borat soundalike (not lookalike..lol !) in the Tourist info couldn't believe we were staying a week !

There's certainly no shortage of bars and food outlets, although overall, i wasn't overly impressed with any of the meals they served up.

The prison is certainy an impressive sight and the views from the walls are worth the journey to this somewhat overlooked town on their own.

This was my first visit to mainland Italy, and thoroughly enjoyed my week in Tuscany, my only query is,.... whats with all the Torture Museums ? vitually every town we visited had one, and they all looked the same.... San Gimignano even has two !!! and many of the towns "souvenir" shops were flogging (no pun intended ) tacky replica weapons!..... not very imaginative IMHO.

7. Re: Day Trip to Volterra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, September 24, 2009