We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel aequa in Vico equense

Which Vico Equense hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Horsham, United...
reviews: 20
hotel aequa in Vico equense

Hello going to this hotel next year - anyone been there.

this hotel is placed so that all the sites can be visited.

any news on this hotel - is it good?

cleveland ohio
reviews: 14
1. Re: hotel aequa in Vico equense

This was our first trip to Europe from the USA and we stayed at this hotel in September 2005 for two nights. We had a most wonderful time. Would return and stay longer. This hotel had good value for the money. The hotel was quaint and clean and the desk was most helpful. Rooms were large and they showed us what the choices would be before we booked the rooms for the nights. Ask for a room facing the Bay of Naples and you will discover that you won't want to leave the room. The views are magnificent. Those rooms had large balconies with chairs and small tables. I can see it now! We were lucky to be there when the hotel was used for two weddings - a wedding each night we were there. It was so beautiful! We ate only breakfast in the hotel and sampled local restaurants. The hotel breakfast is decent. There were English tourists there and they didn't think highly of the buffet. I couldn't understand their complaints until we went to London this year and saw what an english breakfast could be.

Location is excellent - close to the train and there is a parking garage if you are driving....I am going on and on and must stop.

But i do have such great memories of this hotel! Let me know what other questions you might have.

Sydney
2. Re: hotel aequa in Vico equense

Just returned from a stay at this hotel and I agree with the other comments. We didn't have a view of the bay but did have a balconey. The room was spacious and we even had a bath, not all rooms do. The staff are helpful and friendly and the food was satisfactory. In terms of breakfast it was above standards for European breakfasts and different from English breakfasts.

It is close to the trains and the shopping is not to bad, however a trip to Sorrento to shop is a great way to spend the late afternoon and night.

Hope you enjoy the hotel as much as we did.

Oxford, United...
reviews: 2
3. Re: hotel aequa in Vico equense

London 23 September 2007

My wife and I have just returned from a Page & Moy tour of the Bay of Naples area and we were based for a week at the Hotel Aequa in Vico Equense. Vico was a good base, full of life (and, of course, noise, this being Italy) and, in September at least, there were few tourists around, giving a very authentic Italian experience, especially in the narrow back streets and squares near the cathedral overlooking the sea. Most tours seem to be based in Sorrento which I am sure has its delights but is almost certainly full of tourists.

The Hotel Aequa is well placed - turn right for 200 yards to the main square, Piazza Umberto 1 with several delightful cafes from which to watch the world (and the inevitable traffic!) go by, or turn left downhill for 5 minutes to the Circumvesuviana railway station from which for 1 euro 30 you can reach Naples, Sorrento or the Pompeii station (200 yards from the site entrance). The hotel has a lovely pool, gardens and a charming, spacious and shaded terrace overlooking the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius. The staff are friendly, willing and speak English. The hotel does seem popular for weddings - there were two when we were there and for the second on our day of departure a chef prepared amazing sculptures and displays out of carved pumpkins, melons, and other fruits that were really works of art; fortunately the wedding we experienced fully finished by early evening so noise was not a problem.

However, other aspects of the hotel are not so positive. We had a room on the side of the hotel that was separated from the main road by some trees and a bit of garden, so it was a bit noisy, expecially on Saturday night. Other rooms are at the side or back and some seem to have a view of the sea, and were quieter. All rooms seem to have large balconies with a table and chairs. Our room was quite small but very clean with fairly utilitarian furniture, although the twin beds were comfortable. The shower was small and the bathroom fittings worked well but have clearly seen better days. The hot water was fine for us but several of the group reported problems. Our room was really only adequate but probably acceptable on a demanding tour when little time is spent in the room except for sleeping and washing. I think the rooms really need some refurbishment.

The worst aspect of the hotel was the food. The breakfasts were very poor in comparison with other similar 3 star hotels we have stayed in in Europe, which in recent years seem to have gone to some effort to provide a wide spread for different tastes at a reasonable quality. There was limited choice and mostly of poor quality e.g. fresh fruit that was mainly either rock hard or about to rot (we cheered up on the 2 days when good fresh melon appeared), limited cold "buffet", muddy coffee, vacuum flasks of insufficiently hot water with which to make tea, brown bread from the freezer and stale white bread that was clearly left over from last night's dinner. And this is in Italy where superb rolls, bread, etc were on sale just down the road - quite unacceptable. We were served a standard tour group dinner at 7.30 - 4 courses with the occasional nice thing (e.g. some good fish one night) but generally very poor quality, a stodgy piece of meat, a soggy tinned vegetable, rock hard cake-type puddings that defied knife or fork, no salads or proper green stuff, and the only choice was at the second course where either soup or pasta was of just about acceptable quality. I think vegetarians could ask for something different. After 2 nights we rebelled and went 20 yards down the road to the Cafe Pizza, a delightful little restaurant/takeaway pizza place with a raised terrace serving simple but delicious food to locals at ridiculously cheap prices (about 35 euros for 2 with a bottle of the local Lacrima Christi wine) -unsophisticated but strongly recommended. All in the group found the group dinner unsatisfactory but to be fair, some people who had eaten a la carte at the hotel said this provided much better quality.

So overall I guess this hotel was a curate's egg - good in parts - and so 3 stars out of 5 might be a fair summary. Nevertheless, our tour of the Bay of Naples, aided by an expert archaeologist guide, was quite fantastc if very tiring and we much enjoyed being based in Vico Equense.

UK
reviews: 45
4. Re: hotel aequa in Vico equense

Another visitor to this place via Page & Moy, over Xmas 2007.

Our room was good (new, with a nice view and large balcony) but most people complained of tired rooms and poor bathrooms.

Public rooms are big, faded, uncomfortable and cold.

Breakfast was OK (continental, not cooked) but dinner was dire ! Don't think I have ever seen such consistantly horrible food served up over a Xmas. The chef deserves to be taken out and shot, even I could do better.

The staff were good, friendly and helpful,except for the chef. He was trying to poison us.

Bottom line, would I stay there again ? No.

Brookline, MA
reviews: 4
5. Re: hotel aequa in Vico equense

We stayed at the Hotel Aequa a few years ago and enjoyed it a great deal for its location, its big pool and its view. The key to this hotel is to get a room with a view of the bay/pool. It was a good place to stay with kids because of the pool, and because of the easy access to beach and town. Our room looked out on Mt. Vesuvius and had a small balcony. The location was ideal. A quick bus ride took you down to a lovely beach. There was small fee to sit on the beach, but you got a deck chair and there were peddle boats to rent. It was an idyllic -- and not crowded beach. The hotel is in town, so you can just walk out and stroll around. There was a great, inexpensive pizza place next door. You could easily walk to the Circumvesuviano, a small commuter train that takes you to Pompei, Sorrento, or Naples. The trains ran regularly, and were cheap, so transportation was not an issue. The staff was friendly. The downside, as another reviewer said, was the food, but we only ate there once. We found fun little restaurants and ice cream stores that were easy to walk to. I found it relaxing because there was nothing you simply had to see in the town, nothing you had to buy but the village was friendly and charming. Very low key.

Bath
reviews: 128
6. Re: hotel aequa in Vico equense

Just had a weeks stay here as acomodation for a Page & Moy Package. Well sitauted for all sites in the Bay of Naples with easy communications by Road, Rail, Bus. Excellent facilities comfortable rooms good food & wliing profesional staff who looked after us well.

Highly recommended.

7. Re: hotel aequa in Vico equense

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Vico Equense
More Vico Equense Topics