We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our stay in Vico Equense

Which Vico Equense hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 20
Our stay in Vico Equense

I realize this forum is not used often, yet I like to post an opinion about Vico Equense for the benefit of those searching for information about this lovely town. We stayed here for 8 nights in the historical center, about a couple of hundred meters away from the central piazza.

The reason we chose Vico as our base for exploring the surrounding area is that, although we are not particularly adventure travelers, we do not like places entirely overtaken by tourism. Vico is a town not much mentioned in travel guides. And since the main road from Naples to Sorrento runs through a tunnel underneath the town, many may not even be aware of its existence.

We experienced Vico as a safe, relatively clean and pretty town, perched on its own cliffs not unlike Sorrento. The Cento Storico, with a nice little piazza, a castle and a network of narrow streets and alleys, is very picturesque. About four or five evenings we chose to dine in Vico, mostly on one of the patios at Piazza Umberto. We would sit here for several hours among mostly locals, just absorbing the vibrant evening life of an Italian town. A police car would park in the center of the square near the fountain and the constable, who seemed to know everyone, would spend his time having friendly chats with those passing by. We dined two evenings in Sorrento, once at Piazza Tasso and once at Marina Piccola, but neither gave us the same sense of being in Italy like we experienced in Vico Equense.

Vico has two beaches. One at the west end and one on the east. Both are about a 10 to 15 minute steep walk down from the old town center. The west one is a bit more developed with a few restaurants and bus service. We spent a day on the pretty east beach, among the small fishing boats and pleasure crafts. At this beach we found communicating more challenging, since no one spoke English, until we found someone who spoke some German, a language we also speak with limitations. At the hotel and in the restaurants we got by quite well with our English.

From Vico we daily commuted with the Circumvesuviana train to the places we wanted to visit. Trains run about every half hour. 11 minutes at 1,30 Euro to Sorrento. We also trained to Naples for about 5 Euros. From Sorrento we took ferries to visit Positano, Amalfi, Ravello and Capri.

One warning about the trains though: Twice during our stay the train service halted for a few hours due to strikes. Once unannounced in the late afternoon and evening and once pre-announced for four hours in the morning. And other than the Naples airport bus, there is no bus service out of Vico. So if you are caught in a strike, a taxi is the only alternative (40 Euros to Sorrento). And the wait for a taxi may be long. But for us, that was the only negative for Vico Equense. After having visited Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast and Capri, we were certainly glad to have selected Vico as our base.

13 replies to this topic
Trinita, Italy
reviews: 17
1. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

Thanks for sharing your positive experience about you stay in a friendly but not touristy town.

Sorrento
Destination Expert
for Sorrento, Capri
reviews: 44
2. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

Vico Equense is the town very I was born and it's, i'm agree it's a very lovely town. More, it's a town where you can enjoy the best italian food: i'd suggest da Pizza a Metro (one of the most famous pizzeria in the whole Italy) and Da Gabriele for gelato and cheese.

Conway, South...
3. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

We were in Vico Equense in june 2013 at Hotel Aequa and couldn't have found a better place to stay, our room had a million dollar vue of the Bay of Naples.

The towne was our favorite place, we would walk around in the evening have dinner and just took in the feel of the italian people and the surrounding, not overwhelmed by tourists, although we are tourist ourselves, loved restaurant Titos, who serves my husband's favorite Belgian beer Chimay, and we won' t forget Da Gabriella gelato ??? Different flavors and there cheese plates.

During the day we made different trips and loved to come back to our little town for some R&R.

We loved this place so much we are going back next year June and at the same time since we are in Europe spend some time in Belgium with my family.

MarieRose and Ralph

Everything the Australian family said was the same for us.

Conway, South...
4. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

We were in Vico Equense in june 2013 at Hotel Aequa and couldn't have found a better place to stay, our room had a million dollar vue of the Bay of Naples.

The towne was our favorite place, we would walk around in the evening have dinner and just took in the feel of the italian people and the surrounding, not overwhelmed by tourists, although we are tourist ourselves, loved restaurant Titos, who serves my husband's favorite Belgian beer Chimay, and we won' t forget Da Gabriella gelato ??? Different flavors and there cheese plates.

During the day we made different trips and loved to come back to our little town for some R&R.

We loved this place so much we are going back next year June and at the same time since we are in Europe spend some time in Belgium with my family.

MarieRose and Ralph

Everything the Australian family said was the same for us.

Brighton, United...
5. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

Hi, I wonder if you could help me. I'm planning on going to Vico Equense in May for my birthday. I was just wondering how the beaches were there and if they were free. How easy it is to get around e.g capri and what there is to do in the evenings.

Thanks, look forward to your reply....

Conway, South...
6. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

Hi, as for the beaches, we actually didn't go to the beach, because we had so many day trips scheduled that on the days we didn't go anywhere we stayed in town or at the swimming pool. We did make a lot of trip taking the local train which was only a few minutes from the hotel and very cheap, you can also make daytrips to Capri, we didn't do that last year, but we are going back in June this year and that is on our list of to do. The town itself is small, has some bars and on the square each corner has a restaurant and outside seating and fun to sit and have a drink and relax and watch the Italian world go by. It depends on your age if you want to be in a place with a lot of tourist or rather local, we loved to local ambiance and if you want to be more in a busy place Sorrento in only 15km from Vico.

The hotel itself, we loved it because of the old time charm and you really have to ask a room with sea view,

hope this help you with your plans.

Huntington Beach...
reviews: 18
7. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

Grazie infinite! Loved hearing about your travels! Can't wait to visit Vico Equense! :)

Brighton, United...
8. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

yes, thank you...Leaving mext week, can't wait!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
reviews: 85
9. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

Thank you for taking the time to post such a vivid description. Looking around and it is difficult to find such good, clear information. I've found exactly what I needed to know.

Guildford, United...
reviews: 29
10. Re: Our stay in Vico Equense

Thank you for such a great informative review! We are looking at going here for our honeymoon, would you recommend it? My only concern is I don't eat fish, will I still have much of a dining choice? Thank you

Reply to: Our stay in Vico Equense
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vico Equense