We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay to access amalfi as well as pompei

Which Vico Equense hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 12
where to stay to access amalfi as well as pompei

I am planning on staying for 4 days next month in the sorrento area and was planning on staying at vico equense.

Is it right to assume that I can get good rail access to pompeii and herculaneum as well as boat/ferry access to amalfi from there or is there a better alternative?

St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
1. Re: where to stay to access amalfi as well as pompei

There is a circumvesuviana stop in Vico Equense so you can get to Pompeii and Herculnaeum from there. Maybe the town is not by the train stop, but it doesn't look like much is there. I'm not sure there is ferry service to the Amalfi coast fron there?

Sorrento is the best transprot hub for both Pompeii and the Amalfi coast.

I have often though Sant'Agnello one stop down from Sorrento on the train also looked like a nice and cheaper place to stsy and it it would close to Sorrento's port. Besides the Circumvesuviana, there are buses between Sant'Agnello and Sorrento.

Edited: 11:04 pm, June 18, 2010
St Paul, MN
reviews: 6
2. Re: where to stay to access amalfi as well as pompei

Looks like Metro del Mare services Vico Equenses and that there will be service of some kind this year fo the summer

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k3711…

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 53
3. Re: where to stay to access amalfi as well as pompei

Vico Equense is a lovely town, if you do stay there make sure you visit Pizza a Metro, the university of the pizza.

Train fine for getting to and from Pompeii and Ercolano. Its only 10 minutes on the train to Sorrento too. Sorrento is more lively with more restaurants/bars/cafes/shops etc, but that would totally depend on what you like, maybe you would prefer to be in a quieter town.

Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 12
4. Re: where to stay to access amalfi as well as pompei

it sounds like vico equense is cheaper and a good convenient place for accessing public transport. What about swimming? It will be hot there next month and after a day visiting pompei or amalfi a swim would be nice. I gather you can't just wander down to the beach and jump in?

5. Re: where to stay to access amalfi as well as pompei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 18, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Vico Equense