We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip from Florence to Beach

Which Viareggio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
reviews: 6
Day Trip from Florence to Beach

My husband and I will be in Tuscany May 25 – June 1, 2013 for our 10 year anniversary. We are making Florence our home base, but plan to take day trips by train to see other areas. We would like to make it to a beach during our trip and I have been researching Viareggio. I understand it to be an hour and half train ride which is doable. My questions are these .. If we plan to stay the day, can we rent chairs on the beach? Are there bars near the beach for cocktails? Any recommendations for a low key lunch suitable for beach attire? Any public restrooms/showers? Typically weather for this time of year? All recommendations, tips appreciated. Grazie!

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
1. Re: Day Trip from Florence to Beach

If you go to one of the beach establishments, you can rent chairs and use the showers/changing rooms. There will be food options all along the waterfront. It would be very easy for you to wear a shirt and shorts/skirt over your suit to go into a restaurant for lunch. What do you plan on wearing on the train?

TAB

Greenville, South...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Day Trip from Florence to Beach

TAB - thanks for the quick response. I have not considered train attire. What is appropriate? The last time we were in Italy was our Honeymoon and we were in Capri. Any recommendations on clothing for the trip would be appreciated.

I notice Lucca in your response. That is on my list too. I obviously have lots of research to do. We normally vacation in the Caribbean, so this will be a change of pace of us. But much anticipated.

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
3. Re: Day Trip from Florence to Beach

Beach clothing is worn only at the beach. So you would need just regular clothes for the train. I don't wear shorts so I'd be wearing capri length pants and a polo type shirt that would get me into a casual eating place or even a church if I saw one on the way that looked interesting. I like to layer a long sleeve shirt over a tank or sleeveless shirt for the beach so I don't burn.

TAB

4. Re: Day Trip from Florence to Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 11, 2014