We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

Which Viareggio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hobart, Australia
reviews: 1
Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

Hi,

My fiance and I will be travelling by train from Levanto to Lucca (via Viareggio).

If we arrive in Viareggio at 9:59am, do we have enough time to get on the next train to Lucca at 10:09am? Otherwise the next train to Lucca isn't for two hours according to the Trenitalia website.

How far apart are the platforms? Is it easy to find your away around and does it take long to buy tickets?

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
1. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

It takes you no time at all to buy tickets because you should do that in Levanto (or another station beforehand - the tickets are OK for two months on any train until validated in Viareggio before boarding). The connection time is fine if your train arrives on time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

You don't need to buy tickets in Viareggio. You can get tickets from Levanto to Lucca in Levanto (or, indeed, at any Trenitalia station with a ticket office).

I have had a look at Viareggio station with Google's "Satellite view" and it seems to have 3 platforms serving 6 tracks. Ten minutes should be plenty of time to change trains.

The first part of your journey is on an InterCity train which has reserved seats. From Viareggio to Lucca is by Regionale train, which does not have reserved seats so if you miss the connection you can use the ticket on the next train.

Before you get on the Regionale train, you must time-stamp the ticket in a machine at the station.

Hobart, Australia
3. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

Thanks so much for the advice.

I had already purchased the tickets from Levanto to Viareggio a while ago but I wasn't able to purchase the regionale one so far in advance. Although now when I look on the website I can as long as I book it as one journey (ie Levanto to Lucca).

So silly me just now thought I would book those and just cancel the original tickets I booked for the first train. But the website isn't working properly surprise surprise (won't let me tick the "buy without registration" box or log in even though I have a registration) and I had already requested a refund for the first tickets I bought, but forgot that they were mini's so no refund for me! :( Unfortunately it doesn't tell you the refund amount until after it's processed!

Stupid move on my part! I obviously shouldn't be trip planning while I have the flu! So I guess I will just buy the tickets at the Levanto station :) Thankfully the original tickets were really cheap so I haven't lost much money!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
4. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

You can also buy tickets from Viareggio to Lucca at the station in Levanto. Any Trenitalia ticket office can sell tickets for any Trenitalia journey up to 60 days ahead.

However, this would be an unusual request at Levanto station. You might do better to go to one of the travel agencies in Levanto that sell train tickets.

Hobart, Australia
5. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

Thanks but I'll have to buy Levanto to Lucca now that I've cancelled my Levanto to Viareggio tickets anyway (silly me). I think I only lost 13 euros all up though so I can live with that!

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
reviews: 30
6. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

Provided alls on time you are fine, you can buy the ticket VIareggio-Lucca at Levanto before you start. Regardless of train type the ticket needs to be time stamped "validated" at the start of the journey, not just a regionale. The Viareggio train does indeed go from the far platforms 5 or 6 usually, from memory they don't have a time stamp on that platform, don't forget if you have a separate ticket to do it, fines are fairly rigidly imposed and becoming more frequent. But you are right there is a mid-morning break which misses the hourly train. If you miss it would you prefer to kill two hours at the station or take a taxi to the bus station which is 5-10 mins depending on traffic? (Or if you travelling light a wander though the town.)

Hobart, Australia
7. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

If there are regular buses to Lucca I think we'd prefer to take a bus of we miss the train - rather than waiting around for two hours. We will have backpacks so could probably walk to the bus. Thanks for the tip!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
8. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

I fear that SuffolkLucchese is mistaken. In Italy these days, the only tickets that need to be validated are those for Regionale trains.

All other trains have compulsory seat reservations, which means that the tickets are valid only on the one train. As they cannot be used on any other train, there is no need for validation.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
9. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

No I am not mistaken,,, travel to Rome with a paper ticket and the inspectors want it to be validated... whatever the rules say.

Suffolk
Destination Expert
for Lucca
10. Re: Train connection time at Viareggio - too tight?

The buses go from Piazza Za D'Azeglio which is by the waterfront near the main marina, a fair 30mins walk from the station, but goes right through the centre of Viareggio. Right now time tables are only good until 31 Aug, they don't tend to change much for the main buses and they are on 5 mins to the hour for the quicker and 5 mins past for the slightly slower. But do check before you travel as they can change, Q! and Q2 for the Viareggio-Lucca buses. Fares are the roughly the same as the train.

www.vaibus.com/pdf/libretto_Extraurbano.pdf