We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Viareggio- Report

Which Viareggio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
reviews: 151
Day Trip to Viareggio- Report

We took the train from Pisa to Viareggio for a day trip recently. The train was fast and cheap. The beach was a bit of a walk from the train station, but not too far. We had a look at a few of the bagni and chose Bertucelli as it seemed family friendly. It was lovely. As it was a weekday, it was not at all crowded and the fee was very reasonable. We were able to get an umbrella and chairs close to the water. There were bathrooms, indoor and outdoor showers and a changing room available, as well as a cafe/bar. The younger woman in charge spoke English and was so nice, even though we were just day visitors. We are accustomed to frigid ocean temperatures where we live, even in summer. The water here was SO WARM! I did not want to leave. The only negative thing about the beach was the endless parade of men selling cheap trinkets. Not 5 minutes went by without someone approaching us. I didn't see anyone actually buy from these guys all day. The bagni are supposed to be private but these guys just stroll

from one to another, why does no one keep them out? Other than that, it was a great day, a relaxing break from our hectic schedule and a cooling respite from the intense heat.

Ottawa, Kansas
reviews: 25
1. Re: Day Trip to Viareggio- Report

Hi BooKat,

I'm going to be in Viareggio for a day in a few weeks myself & this stop is to enjoy the beach for the most part. Thanks for the report of your visit. Question I'm concerned with, did you feel safe leaving your things with your chair while you were in the water? Here in the states, I don't think twice about it, but I hear so much about pick pockets & thieves in Italy I'm a little concerned.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
2. Re: Day Trip to Viareggio- Report

Hello- No, I did not. My spouse and I took turns going with our child to the water while the other one stayed with our belongings. The umbrellas are very close together and your neighbor is little more than arms length away. Worse, the annoying men selling cheap tat walk right in between the umbrellas and could easily grab your bag as they squeeze by. I would keep items like towels, sand toys, etc at the umbrella if I left, but not wallet or keys.

Ottawa, Kansas
reviews: 25
3. Re: Day Trip to Viareggio- Report

Hmmm, that's my concern travelling alone. Can't really go out without a small amount of money & room key/card whatever it will be.

Thanks for the input, guess I'll figure it out when I get there.

U.K.
reviews: 3
4. Re: Day Trip to Viareggio- Report

The beaches are beyond annoying in Viareggio. Highly do not recommend them for the simple reason ioff annoying vendors. Massage, hats, kites, watches, handbags, sunglasses and the list goes on. They come into your cabin or umbrellas. They annoy the hell out of you. Go somewhere else that stops this. It's beyond annoying and ruins the entire beach experience. Every five minutes. Like flies.

Alexandria, VA USA
reviews: 65
5. Re: Day Trip to Viareggio- Report

We were at Viareggio last week for a day, and the bag vendors were annoying, I definitely would not leave anything unattended--even for a few minutes. That said, my sister in law and I saw an Italian local getting a foot massage from one of those annoying vendors and it looked great so we decided to get them too. WOW! Honestly the best foot massage I've ever had in my life--for 10 euro! Totally worth it!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
6. Re: Day Trip to Viareggio- Report

Hi, I'm the OP. Last month we were in Juan les Pins in France at the beach and it was exactly the same problem with the nonstop wandering beach vendors selling cheap tat. :(

7. Re: Day Trip to Viareggio- Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 18, 2014