We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local information on tirrenia please

Which Tirrenia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leavenworth...
local information on tirrenia please

my family used to live in tirrenia in the late sixties when my dad was stationed at camp darby, we lived in the large apartment building on the main strip with all the shops beneath it, viale del tirreno 19, facing the hotel atlantico and the continental, i don't think the atlantico is still the atlantico but not sure, i am looking for anyone who may have pics of the town center there with all the buildings, there was a little indoor movie theatre across the street and a little bar with an outdoor theatre directly next to our apartment, there was a luna park area and a darling catholic church with marble floors, down the side street from there was a baker, a pizzaria with the butcher across the street, i was wondering if there was a chamber of commerce i could contact, i have been pretty frustrated trying to find some local pics of things other than hotels, carlo ponti had a movie set there and the nco club was there also, along with a riding stable, any help would be appreciated. if anyone has any email of any local person or business u think may help me, i would appreciate it, thanks, and

God bless

21 replies to this topic
Altoona...
1. Re: local information on tirrenia please

We also lived in Tirrenia at that time. I believe we lived in the same building that you described. There were steps and a long porch like thing in the back of the building. Our favorite restaurant was Lena's cafe. Went there all the time for pizza. May have some pics - somewhere.

Edited: 8:28 pm, March 30, 2011
Leavenworth...
2. Re: local information on tirrenia please

it was nice to hear from you, we lived on the first floor of the building all the way to the left, next to the little bar and at that time it had an outdoor movie, we were lucky enough to have one of the large patios, immediatly to our right was an american lady i believe she worked on camp darby, lenas pizza place i believe was the one right across from the butcher shop, down the little side street from the bakery and the little italian church, if u had some pics that would be awesome, our land landy was a little short round lady named mama olga, would love to hear from you, peggy

Altoona...
3. Re: local information on tirrenia please

Your memory is much better than mine! I flew to Italy in March or April of 1968. We only stayed in that apartment building for a short time, as we were staying with friends of my husband(ex). We got our own apt. a short time later. My ex-husband was stationed at Camp Darby and I worked there and at the depot as a secretary. I remember quite well loading up our dirty clothes into duffel bags and taking the bus to camp to do laundry. Then I had to IRON his uniforms and put those horrid creases in the back of his shirt. So much easier now. My son's uniforms were nothing like those old things. Our favorite recreation was bowling as my husband carried a 250 average and spent a lot of time at the bowling alley. We also went to the the movies and steak night at the "cafeteria" on base. I want to go back to visit! It was such a great place to live for a 19 year old bride from Pennsylvania who had never seen the ocean. I've got to look for those pics! It is so nice to talk to someone who actually was there ,too, at the same time. Shirl

Leavenworth...
4. Re: local information on tirrenia please

thanks for writing me back, i would love to have u tell me about the couple u stayed with, i only knew one american couple, they lived i think on the third floor, we got a collie puppy from them when i first got there in the summer of 67, there were only four americans in the building beside us, a lady named rose who lived next door to us and she was a school teacher at the base, a young navy guy at the end of our hallway, the young couple i mentioned and my mom said a african american soldier but i do not remember him, so i am guessing we knew the same young couple, do u still keep in touch with them? i called him "damn boy" don't ask me why but i want to say he was light headed, they had no children at that time, this is so cool, i too rode that bus a lot, going to the movies, my dad was an mp and i attended camp darby elementary, did u ever go eat at the nco club? or go to the american beach? what a time that was, too bad i was not older haha. please write again, forgive me for my lazy mans way of writing, takes too long haha, peggy

Leavenworth...
5. Re: local information on tirrenia please

ps if u send me an email address i have some pics of the building, peg,

Altoona...
6. Re: local information on tirrenia please

I've got to find those pics! The couple we stayed with was Rocky (Robert) and Connie Johnson. She was tiny, pregnant and had long blonde hair. He was fairly tall with reddish brown hair. I have pictures of them taken in the apartment. My email is woospeach@yahoo.com. My exhusband, however, had blonde hair. The puppy thing sounds familiar.

Leavenworth...
7. Re: local information on tirrenia please

awesome, but i think is has to be same couple, as i said, only couple in building and yes he was tall and thin and reddis brown hair is still light haha this is soo cool because i bet we met i was a kid of 11, kind of chunky with long hair, my mother was german very very pretty with red hair, most of the time anyway haha, i have pics of the building i will send you, got to run errands but will do it soon, peg

Altoona...
8. Re: local information on tirrenia please

I am searching for pictures as I think I have one of my ex on the little balcony with a dog. A white dog with brown on it. I don't think it was very big. Yeah, this is cool - I've never met anyone else who has even heard of Camp Darby and Tirrenia! I wonder if Camp Darby is still open? I've wanted to go back to visit, but there are so many things to consider. I was born and raised in PA and live there now. Perhaps I'll have to be satisfied with visiting Tirrenia in my memories and dreams. It was a magical time. Well, I'll keep searching for the pics. Talk to you later. Shirl

Leavenworth...
9. Re: local information on tirrenia please

camp darby is alive and well, if u go to the collie boys home page and go to the next page he has all kidns of pics of camp darby but i can send u some more, this is soo cool, talk to u soon, peggy

Leavenworth...
10. Re: local information on tirrenia please

hi shirl, hope all is well, was wondering if u were still looking for the pics, it sure would mean alot to me, forgive me for being a pest, hope all is well with you, peg

Reply to: local information on tirrenia please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tirrenia