We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room reservations needed in September?

Which Stromboli hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 4
Room reservations needed in September?

Our plans are not firm yet, but we plan to visit Stromboli for two nights either the first part of September 2013 from Palermo, or mid-late September from Milazzo. I have read that the weather can be unpredictable in September and that hydrofoils can be cancelled. Would it be safe to arrive without advance reservations and get a room upon arrival so as not to lose our deposit if our crossing is cancelled (or do hotels normally work with you in this situation and you arrive a day or two later?). Can we expect people waiting at the port with rooms to rent or is there an agency at the port to help us find a room upon arrival?

We *might* stay in Lipari instead of Stromboli so the same questions apply for Lipari please.

Thank-you,

/Rose

Lipari, Italy
reviews: 84
1. Re: Room reservations needed in September?

ciao Rose there is no need of a reservation pleanty of room in lipari

on stromboli less but

some hotel if you are stuck on mainland will not charge you,

ask.

saluti LS

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 4
2. Re: Room reservations needed in September?

Grazie LondonSally!

Thank-you for the letting me know there should be plentiful accommodations on Lipari, and maybe on Stomboli in September. We want to keep this part of our trip flexible as current plans put us in Santo Stefano di Camastra for a few days or so before heading to the islands.

We prefer to base in Stromboli for 2 nights at least, so I will take along a list of hotels and b&b's on both islands and see if I can make contact just before heading over to Stromboli (or Lipari). I don't think I'll take my iPhone, and just rely on a pre-paid card to call ahead from our room or phone booth.

Thank-you again,

Rose

Lipari, Italy
reviews: 84
3. Re: Room reservations needed in September?

prego!!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
4. Re: Room reservations needed in September?

Ciao Rose J,

Later autumn is generally stormier, but service could be suspended at any time, so yes, you would appreciate the flexibility.

Have several possibilities in mind that you could quickly ring (or email) - Your accommodation in Santo Stefano di Camastra could contact your next hotel in Stromboli.

Some hotels would work with you, but not all, but you could ask in advance.

There are far fewer accommodations on Stromboli, so Lipari is the more convenient base, but if you prefer Stromboli, you could surely contact hotels in advance to check availability, and then contact just prior to your arrival.

September is still a very popular month to visit Sicily!

Regards,

Vagabonda

5. Re: Room reservations needed in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, December 17, 2013