We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

Which Selva di Val Gardena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 112
Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

We are a family group of 6 travelling and we don't want to rent a car to get there. Is there a bus which takes skiiers from Venice or Verona to Selva or Ortisei does anyone know?

Also, which of the two towns would people recommend? We went through Selva when doing the Sela Ronda and it seemed to have a number of charming bars and restaurants. Maybe Ortisei does too...I am not sure. And which provides the easiest access onto lifts in the morning (and for tired legs in the afternoon)?

Is anyone familiar enough with these places to advise?

Florence, Italy
reviews: 348
1. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

Hi JTM

For bus transfer from Verona airport (information and reservations), please visit

http://www.flytovalgardena.com/index_en.htm

With regard to the choice Ortisei-Selva, I think that for alpine skiing Selva is better, because, being higher in the valley, allows you to quickly reach a greater number of ski slopes.

Brun066

London, United...
2. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

Thanks so much for this advice - I had also read that Selva was higher so thank you for confirming this. Also thank you for the link to transport. It is not clear to me which bus route I should use on this link because Selva,Wolkenstein or even Santa Cristina are even mentioned. Can you advise please? I don't speak Italian!

Julie

Florence, Italy
3. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

Hi JTM

I believe - and it is understandable - that every bus that leaves from Verona airport runs the entire Val Gardena, ie both Ortisei, Santa Cristina and Selva.

On the website http://www.flytovalgardena.com/index_en.htm

please follow this path:

- Winter 2013/2014

- Book here

- www.suedtirol.bus

- www.rauchreisen.de/dolomites-airport-shuttle/

- For what concerns the connections "Airport-Alto Adige", consider buses n. 1, 2, 3 or 4, according to the departure time from Verona airport you wish: noon, 4pm, 8pm, or 11pm.

- Click on the chosen box

- When the new page opens, choose from the dropdown menu the day you wish (I see that are currently loaded only the days since September 25 till October 31)

- Click on "zur Buchung" ("booking" in German)

- Fill the form with the needed data

Keep in mind that:

"Prezzo a persona" means "Price per person"

"Bambini da 3 - 13,99 anni" means "Children 3 - 13.99 years old"

"Bambini fino 2,99 anni" means "Children till 2,99 years old"

Brun066

Edited: 11:50 am, September 24, 2013
London, United...
4. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

Thank you so much Bruno,

I really appreciate the guidance on how to read the bus timetable and am very grateful for your detailed instructions on how to work out how to get there.

If you ever need guidance with London or with Sydney (the two cities I know best) do let me know...!

Julie

Florence, Italy
5. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

Thank you very much.

Have nice stay in Val Gardena / Groednertal / Gherdeina!

Brun066

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 122
6. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

I won't recommend Rauch Reisen as they skip their schedule to fill their 9-seater mini bus.

The four of us booked the 9 am bus from Malpensa T1 to Ortisei. We waited until 9:05 am and no bus shows up. We called long distance to their office in Bolzano and finally got them to send a bus that arrived at 9:20 am. But then our driver Mohammed told us we had to wait for a passenger who would arrive at Malpensa at 10:30 am. We called the office again, explaining that they should stick to the schedule and that passenger should take the next bus. But all we got was "Sorry, but you have to wait. Thank you." Then no matter what I said, that guy on the line said "Thank you" to shut me up. Totally unprofessional. We ended up arriving at Ortisei around 15:30, about 2 hours later than schedule, and about 1 hour later than taking trains and public bus. The worst thing is, they won't even send the bus over if you haven't wired them the money in advance. Then you're stuck with whatever schedule they feel like running without money back policy.

We saw many buses of Terravision on the way and they are much bigger and more comfy buses (like 50-seaters). I heard good things about Terravision in this forum too. Maybe you can use them. Or, better still, just take the train to Bolzano (only 1hr 15 mins from Verona Porta Nuova) and get on the 350 bus to Val Gardena (about 1 hr 10 mins). You can see the schedule in this link

www.valgardena.it/…

Florence, Italy
7. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

Of course, if you fear that the trouble told by jaylowe can happen to you, the train + bus is a viable solution. There are frequent trains from Verona to Bolzano (up to four per hour), which run through not in 1:15 hrs., but 1:27 to 2:13 hrs, depending on whether are "regional" or "Intercity" trains. Go to www.trenitalia.com, the click on UK flag

Brun066

London, United...
8. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

That is very useful advise - thank you very much. I can just imagine the scenario....it must have been very frustrating - knowing you were stuck because they had your money!

I think we will need to fly in to Venice Treviso so I now need to find out who to use to transfer our group from that airport to Selva. Does any kind person out there have any suggestions?

London, United...
9. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

Hi Bruno,

the price of airfares to and from Verona has gone up enormously. Can you advise me if there is a way to get from Venice Treviso airport to Selva. We have now booked our accommodation in Selva. Buses go from Verona, but I cant find a bus which goes from Venice, and when I use the Trenitalia website I can't find Venice as an option for travel to Bolzano (as you had earlier recommended). Thanks so much, Julie

Florence, Italy
10. Re: Selva Wolkenstein or Ortisei?

Hi Julie

why do you say that you don't find trains from Venice to Bolzano?

Maybe it's because you've set a date after December 9?

If so, the difficulty is explained: since that date, the European railways are rescheduled, and timetables for the winter period are uploaded with little advance.

But you can get an idea of ​​timetables and fares, entering a date prior to December 9 (typically, there are only minor changes at this date).

Go to www.trenitalia.com, then click on UK flag. Enter as departure station "Venezia Mestre" (NOT Venice), and as arrival "Bolzano Bozen." Enter the time you wish. I just tried it, referring to the date of October 21.

You'll see that there are many travel opportunities, with a change at "Verona Porta Nuova", and journey times between 2hs46min and 3hs20min.

There is also a direct journey (ie, without change in Verona), departing from Venezia Mestre at 13:47 (1:47 pm) and arriving in Bolzano at 16:31 (4:31 pm): current cost 30 euros each person.

About the transfer from Treviso airport to "Venezia Mestre" station, the following topic is useful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187870-i57-k29791…

Please let me know if you need anything else

Brun066

Edited: 10:03 am, October 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Selva di Val Gardena