We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's Ravello like?

Which Ravello hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
reviews: 6
What's Ravello like?

I am going to book a trip to Positano and just read a great review that Ravello is nice.

I have never been to Positano or Ravello.

What's Ravello like - is there a nice sandy beach? Is it charming and quaint like Positano?

Shall I consider staying in Posi and Ravello?

P.S. I'm going for my anniversary so I am looking for the most romantic place.

amalfi coast
1. Re: What's Ravello like?

Ravello is located on the ridge projecting from the mountain that divides the Valle del Dragone (Dragon's Valley) and del Regina. Based at 350 meters on the sea level, Ravello overhangs the underlying towns of Minori and Maiori. This enchanted place is among the most beautiful in the whole Amalfi Coast, with an intense and unique landscape. Ravello is renowned for its peacefulness and the deep fascination it emanates from each corner and its image is mostly connected with villas with breathtaking views seen all around the world by pictures.

This village known as the "town of music" has breathtaking views and irresistible romantic gardens.

Ravello is like an open terrace facing the sea and offering from its dizzy heights, the spectacular view of green terraces cultivated with lemon trees declining to a sea of extraordinary colors constantly changing between deep azure and brilliant emerald.

Strict controls on vehicle entry make Ravello's narrow, cobblestone streets a delight to stroll.

Other than Boccaccio (who in the Decameron spoke about the natural and artistic beauties of Ravello, giving evidence of the magic of this place) and Wagner, many artists have been inspired by this extraordinary atmosphere, especially during Romanticism. For example in 1819 the great English painter William Turner came here during his journey to Italy and his drawings of places in the Amalfi Coast are exhibited in the Tate Gallery in London.

Today Ravello is also seat of the Europen University Centre for the Arts and Culture.

The heart and soul of Ravello is the music. Wagner, Verdi, Grieg, Toscanini, Caruso, Bernstein, Kempff, Rostropovitch, stayed and worked in the harmony of Ravello. This musical vocation is still now the heart of this village and the Ravello Concert Society organizes a long season of Chamber music concerts (from March to November). The combination of scenery and music creates an atmosphere that you're unlikely to forget. If you are in Ravello you can't miss this opportunity.

Well it is all I wanted to tell you about Ravello.

Pay attention:on Amalfi coast we have no sandy beaches but pebble beaches and in Ravello you can't have a beach because is on a hill.

Feel free to ask everything elese.

Linda

London
reviews: 17
2. Re: What's Ravello like?

I have stayed in Positano with my husband for one week. It was wonderful. Most hotels are nestled into the sides of the mountains. We stayed at hotel L'agavi which has a fenicular to it's own private but rocky beach. The views are breath taking. It's worth booking a room with a sea view. The hotels seem to all offer return shuttle buses down into the heart of Positano, each evening, where all the retaurants are, which are great(no need to book half board). It is worth hiring a car for a few days but be careful as the roads are very windey and narrow. You can visit Capri and Pompeii in a day but they are a bit touristy. Take a phrase book with you as in our experience, English was not widely spoken in the restaurants. Do try and buy the limoncello drink-lovely!