We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving the Amalfi Coast

Which Ravello hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
reviews: 52
Driving the Amalfi Coast

My husband and I will be visiting the Amalfi coast in late March. We would like to avoid all the transfer of luggage on buses, trains and boats and prefer the comfort of our own car. How difficult is the driving along the coast really. I keep reading about how "treachorous" the road is.

Bay Village, Ohio
reviews: 21
1. Re: Driving the Amalfi Coast

Our family of four was in Positano late March last year. We rented a car upon our arrival in Rome and drove down to Positano for 5 days. That time of year, the traffic is not bad at all and parking is much easier to find. The road is awesome - my husband loved it!! You can definitely drive into Positano, Ravello, Amalfi, and whereever else you want to go. We loved the freedom the car gave us and my husband said that driving the Amalfi Coast was his favorite part of the trip. I am not so sure that it would be that much fun to drive there in the summer, but in late March it will be fine.

London, England
reviews: 48
2. Re: Driving the Amalfi Coast

Assuming you're not fazed by busy narrow, twisting two-way roads,perched high above the ocean, and don't mind the fact that while two cars can easily pass each other, you may have to give way to bigger vehicles on bends, it's fine. One thing we noticed last year however is that as it's difficult- if not impossible - for tourist buses to pass each other, they have a partial one-way system for big buses. Cars can drive either way but buses can only drive from West to East; ie, from Sorrento towards Positano and Amalfi, looping back inland on the retrun trip.

So the message is clear- drive the same direction as the tour buses, and you can tuck in behind one, or you'll be picking buses out of your radiator grille!. In fact as driving means one of you will be unable to sightsee- too busy driving you might even take a round bus trip for better views- or a boat trip-even better. So go for it, but don't stay welded to your car!

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 17
3. Re: Driving the Amalfi Coast

We end all of our Italy trips on the Amalfi Coast and buses run both ways. The SITA buses are regularly running both ways up and down the coast. There are times when two buses going the opposite directions have to stop, back up move over, and position themselves to get by each other. I've even seen the drivers get off the bus to move scooters parked along the road to make more room.

Driving can be bad, but it will be cool and less crowded in March. Parking is also a premium along the coast.

atlanta
reviews: 52
4. Re: Driving the Amalfi Coast

Thanks for sharing your experiences on the Amalfi coast. We are going to explore both by car and bus and are looking forward to less crowding in March as you noted.

5. Re: Driving the Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:13 am, March 05, 2006