We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
reviews: 6
Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the best way is to get to Positano from Rome. We will be traveling in August. As far as I understand, we could either take the train to Naples, switch to the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and then take the bus to Positano. The other option would be to take the train to Salerno and then the bus to Positano, or to take the train to Salerno or Naples and then the ferry to Positano. I also know of a direct bus that goes to Rome from Positano (though I can't find the information) that leaves at 7 am. Which option is the easiest and what would I have to reserve for in advance? The problem I'm having with the direct bus option is that it leaves so early.

11 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
1. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

I'd take the train to Salerno and then the ferry to Positano. There is no ferry from Naples to Positano.

The SITA buses along the coast (from Sorrento or Salerno) are a misery - and, especially in August which is the most popular crowded time of year in the area, they will be just awful.

The ferry will be a nice way to arrive in Positano - if your hotel not right on the sea/beach area, then you may want to have a porter take your bags up to your hotel - as it will be all "up" from the beach.

I don't know anything about the bus - except that it does leave early in the morning.

When I go, I take the train to Naples and have a car service pick me up and take me to Positano - such a nice, though not inexpensive, way to arrive there - but, if that is not within budget (probably about 110 euros or so), I'd go with the ferry from Salerno route.

Knoxville, Tennessee
reviews: 8
2. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

This is an old thread but will chance my question here. We are (hope) going from

Rome to Positano by train.

Is it a better route to choose Rome to Naples and then transport to Positano? or

Rome to Salerno then ferry to Positano?

I have become easily confused as to whether or not there is a direct train from Rome to Salerno.

Our trip is in September and this is one arrangement that I just can't seem to figure out!

Any suggestions??

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
3. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

This is NOT an old thread; the OP posted it today.

I gave a response (post #1). There are trains to Salerno to Rome - some of which are direct, without a change. Check www.trenitalia.com - for the schedule

There are many (many) threads on this question in the Positano and Amalfi coast forums.

It really is not difficult to figure out but there are a number of options; you just need to decide which choice is preferable for you.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 17
4. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

1. Rome to Salerno by DIRECT train:

www.trenitalia.it (departures from Roma Termini; choose a direct train not requiring a connection)

www.italotreno.it (departures from Roma Tiburtina)

2. WALK 800 meters to Salerno Concordia Dock

3. Salerno-Concordia Dock to Positano by ferry boat (April through October)

www.coopsantandrea.it

NC
reviews: 18
5. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

Can I ask a questions about train stations as my wife and I will be taking the same trek from Rome to Positano. We will be staying at the Boscola Palace Roma near the Spanish Steps area. The hotel website says that we are near Stazione Termini. Is this the same as Roma Termini or a totally different? Thanks for the help.

Chris

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 17
6. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

Stazione Termini = Roma Termini. You can walk there from the Boscolo Palace Hotel in Piazza della Repubblica in about four minutes.

NC
reviews: 18
7. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

Thanks so much!!

Knoxville, Tennessee
reviews: 8
8. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

Crazy.... Sorry but I was on a thread from 2006... Didn't realize I clicked on a newer one in my reply! Yes I will check out the other posts and I appreciate you letting me in on my error!

I will go back and read all the comments and take some good advice!

Thank you for replying

New York City, New...
reviews: 6
9. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

Thanks for your responses! I think I will do the Rome to Salerno route then take a ferry to positano. The buses really do sound like a nightmare. Would I need to book the ferry in advance? The website doesn't seem to allow for that but I remember reading somewhere that the ferries get booked fast (or maybe that was to capri :p)

Portland, OR
10. Re: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?

No need to book the ferry in advance, especially going from Salerno to Pos. Just buy your ticket when you get to the dock.

Reply to: Best way to get from Rome to Positano?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted