We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to book the ferry/hydrofoil in advance?

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Do I need to book the ferry/hydrofoil in advance?

Hi,

I'll be in Amalfi and Positano on 28th August and want to take the ferry from Amalfi to Positano and then Positano to Sorrento.

Do I need to book the tickets in advance or I can just buy them at the dock?

Thanks in advance.

New York
reviews: 28
1. Re: Do I need to book the ferry/hydrofoil in advance?

You buy them at the dock.

singapore
2. Re: Do I need to book the ferry/hydrofoil in advance?

Thank you, I was afraid that it will be fully booked, given the overcrowded buses

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 11
3. Re: Do I need to book the ferry/hydrofoil in advance?

If you are concerned about them selling out, you could buy them the day before.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 61
4. Re: Do I need to book the ferry/hydrofoil in advance?

Hi,

I also have similar concern about not managing to get into the boat at Positano/Amalfi because of overcrowding and then having to fight to get into a SITA bus back to Sorrento. With 2 tired kids in tow that won't be a pleasant experience.

@Engred: are you suggesting to buy the return ticket from Sorrento for boarding the ferry from Positano the day before which would guarantee us places on the ferry ?

And as the ferry originates from Amalfi so would it be better to board from Amalfi rather than from Positano ?

I guess this shouldn't be a problem for the short journeys between Positano-Amalfi or vice-versa.

Cheere

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 11
5. Re: Do I need to book the ferry/hydrofoil in advance?

I am suggesting if you are worried about the ferry selling out, you could buy your ticket (wherever you are going) the day before.

The ferries do not originate in Amalfi. The line that runs between Amalfi and Positano actually originates in Salerno.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 61
6. Re: Do I need to book the ferry/hydrofoil in advance?

Thanks Engred.

It's reassuring that I can buy in advance to avoid standing in a long queue and not worrying about boarding.

Are Alicost and Coop Santandrea two completely different companies with separate boats or do they share vessels? The departure timings look very close to each other.

I had a look at their timetables. It looked like Alicost's morning ferry to Sorrento was originating from Salerno but the afternoon ferry was starting from Amalfi at 16-35.

Coop has the ferry showing at 16-30 leaving Amalfi but probably that originates and leaves Salerno at 15-30 and I hope that is a separate boat.

Cheers.

7. Re: Do I need to book the ferry/hydrofoil in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 31, 2014