We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in October

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 11
Driving in October

My hotel in Positano has parking for free in October so that has led me to think....

We fly into Rome and put of Milan because of FF availability. I know that driving along the Amalfi coast is hell but was wondering if it's any better in early October?

Our plan would be to drive from FCO to Amalfi, stay for 4-5 nights then drive from Amalfi to Tuscany or Umbria for 4 nights and then onto Milan and drop the car off.

That versus taking train from FCO to Termini to Naples the private car to Positano. Private car back to Naples then train to Firenze and renting a car there. Any thoughts???

TDW

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
1. Re: Driving in October

October is still high season and it will be busy on the road; not as busy as August, but still busy. I spent a week there at the end of October 2012 and the road was hopping with buses, tour buses, cars, etc.

If you want to drive it, do so but don't expect it to not be busy.

You could do as you suggest via Naples, or you could take a train instead to Salerno and take the ferry from there to Positano - which I believe is still running at that time; at least it was when I was there in October but transportation schedules are somewhat squishy and not always the same each year and we wont' know what they are for 2013 for a few months yet.

West Midlands, UK
reviews: 51
2. Re: Driving in October

We were there October 7-13 2012 and the road was very busy indeed. Bumper to bumper and the buses were packed.

Baltimore, Maryland
3. Re: Driving in October

Thanks for all the info....

If I'm doing the math right...

FCO-Termini= 14 euros x2

Termini to Napoli centrale= 58 euros x2

Transfer from Naples to Positano has been quoted as 120 euros

244 euros to get to Positano (at least)

and then back to Firenze (where we would rent a car)

Positano to Naples another 120 euros

Naples to Firenze 78 euros x2

276 euros to get from Positano to Firenze

So, before I rent a car I'm out 520 euros for transport ....

With those costs in mind, I can rent a Ford Fiesta for 310 euros (I have to have an automatic; I haven't driven stick in 15 years)... for 8 days. I know I still have to factor in the petrol and tolls but given that I have free parking in Positano and I know I want to visit Ravello; what do you guys think???

TDW

Texas
reviews: 60
4. Re: Driving in October

Drive a car. Park it at the Positano hotel and leave it there if you like. The idea of getting off an transatlantic flight, getting into Rome, taking the train to Naples/Salerno and then another leg from there with all the bags has always filled me with horror. (We are going to do a version of that this summer for our 4th trip to the AC but broken by staying in Rome and then flying out of Naples.)

5. Re: Driving in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 21, 2014