We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time spent in Sorrento and the Almalfi coast

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Macquarie...
reviews: 58
Time spent in Sorrento and the Almalfi coast

Hello,

I would appreciate feedback on the following, staying in Sorrento for 6 nights. My first choice was to stay in Positano, however the 'Gira dÍtalia will be leaving from Sorrento early a.m. on one of our days. Hubby is över the moon" as he is a keen cyclist!

3/5 Arrive Sorrento p.m.

4/5 Capri if weather favourable?

5/5 Almalfi and Ravello?

6/5 Sorrento for the start of the Gira dÍtalia bike ride and then explore Sorrento for the rest of the day?

7/5 Have booked Christine's walking tour of Positano 3 hours to lunch time. Spend the afternoon in Positano?

8/5 Possibly go back and spend the day in Positano?

9/5 Leave very early for Rome.

Was thinking of a combination of ferry and buses. Have read over many of the forums, however some further clarity would be appreciated.

South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Time spent in Sorrento and the Almalfi coast

Train Naples to Sorrento and Pompeii Scavi www.vesuviana.it

Naples airport bus to Sorrento www.curreriviaggi.it

Amalfi coast bus Sorrento to Amalfi and Amalfi to Ravello

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5110.pdf

Ferry www.alicost.it Sailings yet to be published www.capri.net

Train Naples to Rome www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.amalficoastweb.com

Campania region www.italia.it/en/home.html

Lake Macquarie...
2. Re: Time spent in Sorrento and the Almalfi coast

Thank you for the above information.

I have all the trains sorted - was able to book the 9 euro fare from Rome to Naples and return and know of the regional trains from other posts in TA.

I guess I was looking for advice as to what order we should do the above (in logical order) rather than back tracking. I have looked at maps etc. but still wondering if the itinerary I have posted is the best.

Any feed back would be lovely.

Thank you.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
3. Re: Time spent in Sorrento and the Almalfi coast

It looks fine - weather may dictate what you do. Sometimes there are full days of full on pouring rain and what you do in that weather is up to you. I wouldn't go to Capri on a day like that but I might jump on the local train and head to Naples and do some exploring.

From Sorrento, it will take about 45 mintues (depending on traffic) to Positano. I suggest getting off at the second stop in Positano (La Sponda stop) if you want to head down to the beach. The first stop is higher up in the village and there is a nice, though longer walk down to the pedestrian only part of the village and then down to the beach.

Going to Amalfi and Ravello in one day is a good idea and doing Positano separately makes sense

From Amalfi, you take a separate bus up to Ravello which takes about 20 minutes.

But, it sounds fine overall if you have to stay in Sorrento.

Lake Macquarie...
4. Re: Time spent in Sorrento and the Almalfi coast

MomCat,

The information you provided is exactly what I wanted - thank you so much!

5. Re: Time spent in Sorrento and the Almalfi coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 21, 2014