We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano from Naples or Rome?

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 31
Positano from Naples or Rome?

Hi everyone, Happy New Year! I need some advice. My husband and I are going to visit Positano in March. We will not be hiring a car and plan to use public transport. We assume that arriving in Naples would make for the easiest journey to Positano, but for us the flight options to Rome are much better. Is the journey from Rome to Positano much longer/more complicated than from Naples? We've looked on the Internet and previous posts in this forum and it looks to us that Rome might not be a lot more hassle, but I'd love some expert opinion.

The other issue is that we will be returning home on a Sunday. Will that make travel more complicated and perhaps affect our options?

Many thanks in advance!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 50
1. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

Naples is easier, if you fly into Rome you best then get a Train to Naples and hire a car there,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
2. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

From Rome FCO airport, you have to take a train to Rome Termini station and change there for a train to Naples Central. There you go down into the basement to catch a suburban train to Sorrento, then a bus to Positano.

From Naples airport, you can take a bus to Sorrento and change there for the Positano bus.

From either Naples station or Naples airport, you could arrange a private car and driver to Positano for maybe €100.

The same options are available on Sundays, but buses and trains do not run as frequently.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

From Rome, it will take approximately 3.5 hour or so to arrive in Positano - without factoring in customs, passport control at airport.

It will take about 30-40 minutes to the main train station in Rome (Roma Termini) from the airport (FCO), 70 minutes if you take a fast train from there to Napoli Centrale then about 60-70 minutes on the local train (Circumvesuviana) from Napoli Centrale to Sorrento and then another 30-45 minutes from Sorrento via SITA bus, which you would get at the Sorrento train/bus station. Of course, I haven't included the times in between trains where you wait for them, etc.

I always arrive in Rome, fast train to Naples and have a car pick me up and from Naples, it takes about (depending on traffic) 1.5 hours to Positano. If it is in your budget, I highly recommend you consider that method of transportation -

The car service I always use, Guemar Travel, arrives with the driver having a card with my name on it at the end of the train track at which I arrive in Naples. You could email them to get a quote (I have no idea of what anyone's 2013 prices will be) - they respond quickly and, if you book, you do not pay before arrival. You would book and, of course, if you change your plans, just let them know. info@guemartravel.com - I know there are other such services but I've used these folks for about 8 times now and since they have always been terrific, I never used anyone else so can't comment.

But, there are others and you can go through the reviews here on TA to do comparison pricing, etc.

In March - I spent 7 days/nights in Positano in March 2011 - many of the restaurants and hotels are still closed; they really begin to open just around Easter but most shops are open and there were certainly enough restaurants open that I had choices.

Weather is never predictable but for my week, I had weather mostly in the 60s, one or two in the low 70s and nights were in the mid-40s. No boats/ferries will be running from Positano at that time of year. I loved it - it was wonderful to enjoy the village without the throngs of people that are there in high season but, of course, it is not beach weather or swimming in the sea weather; but, it is great hiking and exploring the other villages weather.

Here's a blog by someone who lives there - a photo blog:

http://positanodailyphoto.blogspot.com

Her Facebook page has even more photos - it really is lovely.

If you decide to take the bus, say which hotel you are staying and I can let you know which of the two bus stops in Positano to get off and use for other trips.

Birmingham, United...
4. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

Thanks everyone. On the basis of what you've said, we've booked flights to Naples rather than Rome. Unfortunately this means arriving in Naples later than is ideal, so we're going to hire a diver to get us to Positano. We'll take the buses route on our way home (unless we decide we can't be bothered and get a driver to take us back too!)

Many thanks all!

MomCat1992 - thanks for the advice on hiring a driver and for your comments about visiting in March. It sounds perfect! We aren't beach goers really and will be happy with anything other than rain weatherwise!

Atlanta
reviews: 37
5. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

yikes.

There is some public transportation from Rome and Naples to Positano but you are up for a challenge and time.

Train from Rome to Naples.

Whatever, once in Naples...I believe you can take a Ferry to Sorrento and on to Positano.

Their is some SITA bus service from Sorrento to Positano.

If you have booked a hotel in Positano they should be able to advise you on your best options.

Keep in mind..!

However, you get to Positano...you have to get from Positano dock or SITA bus stop to your hotel.

This is never easy unless the using SITA bus that would stop right in front of your hotel.

The hike from the dock is all up hill to wherever you are staying...And I do mean uphill !

Positano is all hills and steep inclines.

New York City, New...
6. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

Bestbet99: The OP is going in March - no ferries from Naples then and they are getting a car service so I'm not sure to what you are referring to when you say "yikes" - ?

To the OP - if you use Guemar, you should have a 100% problem free transfer from Naples.

Have you decided on where to stay yet?

Birmingham, United...
7. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

Hi Momcat, yes we've booked a B&B. We know it's hilly and that getting about will be a bit of an effort, but we're pretty fit and are experienced travellers so I'm sure we'll be fine. Thanks so much for the reassurance about our choice to book a driver. I'd done my research so was fairly sure we'd be OK, but it's great to get confirmation!

Toronto
reviews: 58
8. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

Hi, we are doing same treck in August (yes, hi season). I heard that you could pick up a ferry nar Rome that goes all the way down to Positano??

New York City, New...
9. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

Never heard of such a ferry - where did you see that?

I'd probably go to Salerno from Rome and get the ferry from Salerno to Positano - cuts out the extra public transportation.

Toronto
reviews: 58
10. Re: Positano from Naples or Rome?

Hi, I found this post:

tripadvisor.com/…15632660