We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Day Itinerary

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, England...
5 Day Itinerary

Hi all,

We have 5 full days for the Amalfi Coast this May! We are a a young couple, who enjoy beautiful scenery, charming towns, good restaurants, not into nightlife, etc. Am confused about where to stay along the Amalfi Coast, and trying to choose between staying in Positano/Amalfi/or Capri. So far, I have broken the days into the following:

Day 1- Naples to Positano

Day 2 - Positano

Day 3 - Capri (stay overnight)

Day 4 - Amalfi

Day 5 - Amalfi, depart back to London

We are really good travellers and very active -but is 3 places too much to do in 5 days? I have read that Capri might be better as a day trip, will it be that crowded in early May? Is it best to base ourselves in Positano for the entire time and make day trips to Amalfi and Capri?

Any advice would be great thank you!

West Midlands, UK
reviews: 71
1. Re: 5 Day Itinerary

We had 5 days in October and based ourselves in Positano, because we liked the look of the place and we could visit where we wanted to go from there.

This was what we did:

Day 1 early morning flight arrived at Naples aiport, arranged a driver to take us to Positano. PM - went down to beach to recover from the travelling and the early start and a wander around. Meal out in Montepertuso - shuttle transport arranged by restaurant.

Day 2 - bus to Amalfi, then another to Ravello. Explored Ravello, walked back to Amalfi via Atrani. Explored Amalfi. Boat back to Positano - a full day. Next time I would boat it both ways, much more relaxing and scenery stunning.

Day 3 - early boat to Capri. Bus to Anacapri, explored Anacapri and then walked back to Capri Town. Lunch. Walked to the Natural Arch and back and down to port. Boat back. May be worth a night stopover here - a lovely island.

Day 4 - Local bus to Nocelle. Walked back to Positano via Monterpertuso, with a detour to the hole in the mountain at Montepertuso.

Day 5 - bad weather and we had done enough walking downhill, so relaxed in our accommodation admiring the last views. And then shopping in Positano and a final meal.

Day 6 - early start back to airport with arranged driver.

Every day was different and we managed to visit the popular places on a first visit. We had a fantastic time and our accommodation was wonderful (Villa Mary). I tend to like to explore the local area where we are staying to get a real feel of the place. We also like walking, which may not appeal so much to you. But the views and the walks were wonderful.

You want to consider a night on Capri, to see more of the island. Truly beautiful and we plan to revisit in May when we have booked a week on Ischia.

London, England...
2. Re: 5 Day Itinerary

Thank you for your advice!!

Ive now decided to change the itinerary to 5 full days, with 3 nights in Positano, where we use it as a base to do day trips to Ravello and Amalfi, and 1 night in Capri, with an onward departure to London the following night.

In terms of logistics, I will essentially need to get from Naples Airport to Positano, in the beginning, and from Capri-Naples Airport, at the end. Does it make more sense to do this the other way around? ie, Naples to Capri for 1 night, spend the rest of the days in Positano, and then Positano-Naples Airport on the way back?

I imagine we might be quite tired after our flight, and want to do the option that will get us to our hotel the quickest. Which order would give me that option?

Thanks!

West Midlands, UK
reviews: 71
3. Re: 5 Day Itinerary

You may want to consider going to Capri first. If you do it last and the weather is bad could you miss your flight? Not sure what the chances of the sea being rough in May are, but you never know with all of the freaky weather there is currently. It took us about an hour and a half from Naples to Positano and that was in October. It may be busier and longer than that in May. You need to check out crossing times from Naples port to Capri to compare the two. I believe there is a bus right outside the aiport that you can catch to the port, but you need to check that out too.

4. Re: 5 Day Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, December 16, 2013