We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 86
Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

I adore Positano! When we were there 2 years ago, we drove from Rome to Positano via a driver. The many tunnels were uncomfortable for me due to claustrophobia issues. We plan to fly Boston to Naples or Boston to Rome in April 2012. Is there an alternate way to get to Postano! Trying to avoid those tunnels!!

Many thanks!

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

Not sure but I think the route from Salerno to Positano via SITA bus (with a bus change in Amalfi) doesn't have tunnels. But, again, I can't recall completely.

If someone confirms that, you could take the train to Salerno instead of going to Naples and then the SITA bus.

Perhaps someone else knows. It is doubtful that the ferries will be running yet at that time of year.

Latina, Italy
2. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

Take the ferry/hydrofoil from either Naples or Salerno to Positano. I just looked and the summer schedules from Salerno started this year on 1st April. Not sure about Naples.You'd have to look much nearer the time.

Naples or Rome to Salerno by train.

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
reviews: 5
3. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

If you take a private driver they can you around the tunnels. Just mention it when you book. Mine (www.rainbowlimos.it) has done it several times to avoid traffic build up but it does take longer as there can be traffic through towns like Castellamare. There is actually an extra tunnel which has just opened!

There are a few very short tunnels on the Amalfi Coast coming from Salerno to Positano coming out of Amalfi and also in Praiano. But when you are looking at the view you don't notice them.

Boston...
4. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

I can manage the short tunnels. Thanks for this advice!

Liguria, Italy
reviews: 3
5. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

One of the times I went to Pompei, I drove to Ravello afterwards by a route through the mountains and cannot recall encountering any tunnels. But if you use an internet map website like Google to plot a route, it will tell you where all the tunnels are.

So you can drive the autostrade from Naples to Pompei, which has no tunnels, and that go up the "back" side of the mountains to get to Ravello. I warn you it is very, very winding, with lots of switchbacks. Once you are in Ravello, then you need to go down another twisting road to get to the twisting Amalfi drive that will take you to Positano.

If motion sickness bothers you, you might find the route hard to take.

Boston...
6. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

No issues with motion illness. Thanks for this recommendation. I did not realize that tunnels show on Google maps.

South Australia
reviews: 12
7. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

Buses Naples to Amalfi and Amalfi to Positano

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5020.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

Edited: 7:13 pm, October 03, 2012
Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 14
8. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

How did you go with the tunnels? This is my problem with this area too - it is really worrying me. We go in Nov. 2013. Regards, Carol

Boston...
9. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

We didn't end up going but contacted Silver Star Car Service in Sorrento. We used them before to go from Rome to Positano. Luisa, the owner, is prompt with email. She told me the driver could go around through the little cities and towns. Now I am excited to go back!!! If you have never been, it's tunnel after tunnel. Some longer than others. I get too claustrophobic in those! Bon Voyage!

Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 14
10. Re: Naples to Positano WITHOUT tunnels?

Thanks so much for your reply. I have discovered the more i know about the potential problems the better. If I am able to plan a tunnel free route i can relax. It is hard to be excited about an area when you are tense and apprehensive.

We are currently looking at ferries from Naples to Sorrento, and then Positano.

Love the limo idea, but the cost might be too much.

People think you just need to get a grip, but if only it was that easy....

Are there tunnels on the way to the Rome airport from Sorrento too?

Thank you for understanding.