We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

Most people needing to reach Positano from Rome will take the train (Trenitalia or ITALO Treno) to Napoli Centrale, then the Circumvesuviana commuter train to Sorrento, then the SITA bus. Alternatively (April through October), they will take the train to Salerno, then the Cooperativa Sant'Andrea ferry boat direct to Positano.

This is the "conventional" solution for travel from Rome to Positano.

But there is a way to get to Positano without a single connection!

This solution is particularly useful for people with mobility problems, who may have difficulty lifting luggage on and off trains, or connecting from the train to the bus or ferry boat.

The solution is to take the DIRECT Marozzi bus from Rome's Tiburtina bus depot (300 meters from Rome's metro system and airport train to FCO Airport from Tiburtina Station).

This bus operates ONLY from June 1 through September 30. It departs daily at 7:00 a.m., arriving in Positano at 11:30. The bus stops in Sorrento en-route. The one-way fare is 21 Euros. Advance reservations are optional but not mandatory.

www.marozzivt.it

PROS:

1. Direct service. No need to haul luggage from train to bus or train to ferry. No need to lift luggage on and off trains. Stow luggage in the underfloor baggage compartment of the bus.

2. Cheap: only 21 Euros, versus 22, 36 or 43 Euros on the Trenitalia train to Napoli Centrale, plus 4 Euros on the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento (or 25, 39 or 46 Euros on the Trenitalia train to Salerno, plus 12 Euros on the ferry boat to Positano).

3. When factoring in the connection time in Naples or Salerno, the direct bus may be nearly as fast.

CONS:

1. Slow: 4.5 hours, versus 3-4 hours by combination train/bus or train/ferry (NOT counting connection time in Naples/Sorrento or in Salerno). May be subject to traffic delays.

2. Seasonal: direct bus operates only from June through September.

3. Limited schedules: only at 7:00 a.m. (making connections from inbound flights at FCO airport impossible).

RETURN SERVICE: From Positano at 16:10, arriving Rome Tiburtina bus depot 21:00.

Bendigo, Australia
reviews: 39
1. Re: Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

Hi GAC. I've read a number of your responses to transport related queries from Positano to Rome by bus - so thank you very much for the background. I intend to travel from Positano to Rome on Thu 26 Sept with my family - hopefully on the 4.10pm bus. I am having some trouble working out how to make the actual booking on the bus website, in the absence of any Italian language skills. Any assistance would be most welcome. Thank you :)

New Jersey USA
reviews: 17
2. Re: Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

Since we had a party of 4, with 2 families paying, we hired a driver from Italydriver.com. Umberto called me in NJ about 15 minutes after I emailed with an inquiry. It was the best decision for us, as we had no trouble getting to Positano from the Rome airport. We were met at the airport, driven in a Mercedes van, and were able to ask questions along the way. No struggling with luggage on trains or buses. We stopped in Sorrento to eat and shop for leather, then continued on our journey to our Positano hotel. Umberto arranged for a dinner the next night at the #1 restaurant in Positano....which we probably wouldn't have gotten to ourselves. We also arranged to be picked up after 4 nights to return to our Rome hotel. We had a different driver, but Umberto called us through his phone to make sure everything was OK. This was the only way to go!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Rome, Amalfi
reviews: 10
3. Re: Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

It also costs many hundreds of euros each way which many travelers do not have in their budget.

New Jersey USA
4. Re: Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

Yes it does cost more, but having split it between 2 families and only 1 week to travel it was worth it for us.

Bendigo, Australia
5. Re: Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

Hi KitKolar,

We are actually using a driver to take us from Naples to Positano as our flight arrives quite late in Naples. It sounds like a similar arrangement worked very well for you. However, as we are traveling on a budget, we only intend to do this one way. Alas my lack of Italian language skills means that I'm having trouble booking the direct bus from Positano to Rome. I'm sure it will all work out in the end though :) Do you happen to remember the name of the restaurant you went to in Positano? Thanks!

Bendigo, Australia
6. Re: Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

Thanks MomCat1992. Yes, that is exactly why we are intending to catch a bus back from Positano to Rome! I also like the fact that the bus is direct to Rome and that it leaves just after 4pm in the afternoon - allowing as much time as possible in Positano rather than having to leave first thing in the morning. It does however get into Rome around 9pm, but that's okay as our accommodation isn't far from the bus terminal.

New Jersey USA
7. Re: Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

Hi Lilwend,

The restaurant is up in the hills and they have a shuttle that picks you up at your hotel at a certain time after making the reservation. It is called La Tagliata and they serve several courses of the chef's choice....no menus. Delicious with great views too. It was 25 euros/person or 35 euros/person with a meat course. You really don't need the meat. Seems everything in Positano is more expensive than Rome. Also had a good meal at Bruno .

Bendigo, Australia
8. Re: Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

Hi KitKolar. Thanks so much for the restaurant recommendation. It looks brilliant. I will make sure I reserve a table well in advance so that we don't miss out on this dining experience.

9. Re: Getting to Positano from Rome without connections

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, August 01, 2014