We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Positano or Sorrento

Which Positano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Positano or Sorrento

We are spending 5 days with our 15 year old daughter in the Amalfi area and I need help in deciding whether it is best to stay in Positano or Sorrento. Looking to spend around $300 per night in June. Found a hotel in Positano but no pool. Is there enough to do in the centre of town in Positano? Any recommendations for hotels in Sorrento that are convenient to town with a pool?

Santa Monica...
reviews: 14
1. Re: Positano or Sorrento

Personally, I like Positano way better than Sorrrento. It's a great town to just hang out, lay on the beach, swim in the sea, eat in charming restaurants, take a boat to Capri, or a drive to Ravello. I enjoy the Poseidon if you need a pool, the Miramare if you don't (and you want to spend a little less)

New Jersey
reviews: 9
2. Re: Positano or Sorrento

Positano is nice but to spend 5 days you will find it harder to explore the rest of the Coast. Sorrento is better because you have access to all Ferries (Capri/Ischia) The other ferries I don't know if by June are operating. Ferries from Positano only work in the summer, the exact date don't know. From Sorrento you also have better way of getting around either by bus or rent a car. Pompeii is a most see. Ravello and Amalfi also are great towns to visit. I stayed in Positano a couple of years ago and didnt like the fact that everywhere you go you have to climb stairs. Our hotel alone had 55 stairs to get to it. Try that with luggage. Positano is good for honeymooners that wont do too much exploring. Positano also can be overpriced and very touristy. I recommend Sorrento from a sightseeing prospective. Positano just to relax.

3. Re: Positano or Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:53 pm, April 09, 2005
sorrento
4. Re: Positano or Sorrento

yeah, right...just an ad...vertising

Agropoli is not Sorrento, nor Positano...

italy
reviews: 1
5. Re: Positano or Sorrento

not any of my business at all .... i prefer agropoli not the amaliftan coast ! but let me put it on a line: Going to Vegas doesnt mean i win, but going in a place nearby means i can visit Vegas and play with more money while having more odds to win .... it is just as simple

Sorrento
6. Re: Positano or Sorrento

Dear winch,

First you should know that commercial URLs are not allowed on these forums.

Second the purpose of these forums is to give people CORRECT INFORMATION and share experiences: this is NOT the place for those who, behind a nickname, try to promote their business.

My opinion is that your posts are not welcome on these forums unless you start giving USEFUL information !!!

Phoenix, Arizona
7. Re: Positano or Sorrento

It is usually so obvious when a posting is "commercial" and doesn't conform to the guidelines of the site. I'm glad the postings are monitored to get rid of these types of postings.

That being said,I'll get back to the forum. I'm surprised that I'm not reading a lot about Paestum. We're spending 4 days with Positano as our home base. We're going to Pompei, Amalfi and Capri. Should we be planning on Paestum? There is a forum devoted to Paestum but there are no postings. Seems to me that in a posting someone mentioned hey would choose Paestum over Pompei. Any suggestions?

sorrento
8. Re: Positano or Sorrento

managerman,

Paestum as a very inrteresting and relatively new museum where you can, among other thins see the famous "Diver tomb".

You also have three templa from the 6 century b.C. that are very well preserved. Many other things have not been digged ou yet, and I still believ Pompei would be a first choice for how complete of a town is, and Herculaneum second, for the beauty of certain villas.

In addition to that, Paestum is not as easy to reach as the others, but if you do go there, make sure you try the local Buffalo mozzarella, and maybe go see some factory too.

Denver, CO
reviews: 3
9. Re: Positano or Sorrento

I agree with travelkids. When we stayed in Sorrento, it just felt like we had more flexibility to get to places and do things than in Positano. Positano is beautiful in its own way, but I felt very confined there, and like I was in a tourist fishbowl. Sorrento felt more real.