We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WiFi availability in town

Which Porto San Giorgio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Simi Valley, CA
reviews: 7
WiFi availability in town

What is the WiFi availability in the town? I am planning to stay a few days there and don't want to purchase a sim card for my phone. Just wondering if there are WiFi options like a coffee or restaurant with a hotspot etc...

1 reply
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
1. Re: WiFi availability in town

It seems you've got no response to this question; I can't really help much, but I'll at least bump your question up to the first page.

I can't find much information about bars and such with public wifi. Many hotels have wifi, and some of these hotels also have restaurants, but the wifi may be only for the hotel guests. Public wifi spots are slow at starting up in Italy, because of restrictive anti-terrorism laws. There's a bunch of red tape for the bar that provides the service and also for the casual user.

I live in Le Marche, and I'm beginning to see bars that advertise they have wifi. Strictly speaking, the law requires that the bar send a password to an Italian cell phone, so that the user can be traced if they should turn out to be a terrorist. (There are no anonymous cell phone services in Italy; getting a SIM card requires that your passport or national identity card be scanned and kept on file.) I know for a fact that some of bars don't follow this law and give a password to anyone who asks for it. However, this would not be advertised.

Getting a SIM card and a one-week data plan would cost you only about €10, so it wouldn't be a huge waste of money. The SIM cards cost €10, which includes a 5-euro credit. The weekly plans cost about €2.50 to €3, depending on the provider, which could be paid from the initial credit, leaving a little left over for the occasional short phone call.

Reply to: WiFi availability in town
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porto San Giorgio