We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any suggestions ? : )

Which Pistoia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Any suggestions ? : )

Hi ,

we will be staying with friends in Pistoia for 8 days in October this year. We will be hiring a car and are looking forward to visiting the countryside. We don't have any set ideas about where to go, only Florence (by train), a day in Siena and another in Lucca. Look forward to hearing any suggestions you may have

Many thanks

Glasgow, United...
reviews: 36
1. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

going myself to this area in july. the area to the west.. mountains looks fab. Plan to visit Bagni di Lucca, barga, Garfagna area. but also little villages such as Lucchio, limano, casoli and Vico Panellorum all near Bagni di Lucca. Also marble quarries near Carrera . pIETRASANTA on coast looks great as are Cinque Terre further north. GAIL

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

Thanks so much Gail, I've noted these places and yes they look lovely. Hope you have a fantastic trip ! Anita

Perth, Western...
reviews: 275
3. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

At very short distance is Vinci, birthplace of Leonardo where his former home is now an interesting museum.

If there are children with you, the Collodi Park in Pescia is also worth a visit.

UK
reviews: 54
4. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

There are also a number of Medici villas and gardens close by:

tuscanyblog.net/2010/05/prato-and-pistoia-di…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00g6kpz

www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=124

Pistoia, Italy
5. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

Misschien is dit ook nog leuk om te kijken. Dit is een oud vestingstadje in de buurt van Siena. Het heeft ook een paar mooie panorama plekken om van te genieten met een lekker glaasje wijn. Voor ons was het echt de moeite waard. Het plaatsje heet San gimignano. In Pistoia zelf kun je ook een tour onder de grond maken en het oude ziekenhuis bekijken. Op woensdag en zaterdag ochtend is er altijd een grote gezellige markt. Wij wonen nu een jaar in Pistoia en het is echt een Italiaanse plaats met relatief weinig toerisme wat het erg leuk maakt. Mocht je nog vragen hebben dan zal ik kijken of ik ze voor je kan beantwoorden. Je hebt trouwens ook hele mooie wandelroutes in de bergen. En Viareggio is ook leuk om te bezoeken als je van een mooie boulevard houdt. In oktober is het er minder toeristisch nm.

Groetjes Petra

Savannah, GA
reviews: 15
6. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

Look at Bagni di Lucca and Barga, too.

Worcester, United...
reviews: 22
7. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

Yes, don't go anywhere near the centre of Pistoia in your car. Park on the outskirts and walk in. I've just received a fine of 96 euros for driving in zone for residents although I cannot see any intelligible signs on google street view. Evidently this is a common scam by the authorities in Tuscany with Florence being one of the worst offenders. I suppose it's one way the Italians can deal with their debt mess, rip off tourists!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
8. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

It is not a scam, it is an attempt to reduce traffic and pollution making urban areas safer for residents, tourists, historic buildings and works of art. Most Italian settlements operate these zones and way, way more fines go to Italians than tourists.

Had you done a small amount of research about the driving laws in another country before you went there, you would have very quickly found out all about these zones. There is clear signage and I am afraid you will have passed both a warning sign and then the international driving sign for limited vehicular access.

Sorry to sound harsh, but you have been a bit daft for driving somewhere without checking what the road laws are and then having been rightly ticketed for breaking the law, you make accusations about scams and attempts to rip off tourists.

I know it is galling to receive an unexpected fine like this, but the sensible attitude to it is to take it as a lesson in life about checking up on basic road rules before driving in a foreign country.

London, United...
9. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

In my opinion, first you should use the maps to google maps and check the distances of the cities mentioned, otherwise you spend too much time in the car. For example when you go to Siena you may also visit San Gimignano and the whole area of Chianti, in Lucca: the Ville lucchesi (villa reale di Marlia, Villa Torrigiani, ), the city walls still perfectly preserved, the Torre Guinigi with the characteristic oaks on the summit, you may also visit Volterra and Pisa.

10. Re: Any suggestions ? : )

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2014