We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 night stay

Which Pistoia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
6 night stay

My husband and I are traveling with our 21 yr. old daughter and son/nephews age 17. We are considering an apt. (historic city centre) in Pistoia and would welcome your input regarding whether (1) Pistoia would be a good place for this age group to stay (2) would we need to rent a car? - we would prefer not to but want to make sure that we would have good access to trains or other forms of transportation to go to other cities (3) we were thinking of flying into Pisa - what is best transportation to take from airport to Pistoia? Thank you in advance for your input

UK
reviews: 54
1. Re: 6 night stay

My husband and I visited Pistoia for the day by train whilst staying in Lucca. From our short experience we thought it was charming and interesting and both agreed it would have appealed to our children who when travelling with us just enjoyed exploring towns and soaking up the atmosphere.

It is well placed for visiting Tuscan cities by train but if you wish to see the countryside around the Chianti vineyards then a car would be essential.

I would have thought that the train from Pisa airport to Pistoia would be the best transportation.

Houston, Texas
2. Re: 6 night stay

Joanna, thanks so much for your input. Could you comment on transportation costs? Because we would need to rent a large car/van to transport the 6 of us (I anticipate this will make the rental more expensive), I was trying to determine if we would be better off taking local transportation (i.e., trains). Thanks!

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
3. Re: 6 night stay

Where are you planning to visit? Transportation for 6 is going to be expensive, rental cars are expensive in Italy at the best of times. If you can avoid getting a rental car and using public transport, that will be cheaper, so it all depends on what day trips you are planning as to whether you can manage without a car.

Houston, Texas
4. Re: 6 night stay

I have not yet created an itinerary - this trip was a last minute opportunity. We would actually have four full days to schedule visits since the first and last day are arrival/departure dates. I was thinking one day in Pisa, one day in Florence. Any recommendations for the other 2 days? We should be able to take trains from Pistoia to Pisa and to Florence, correct? Is is feasible to schedule a one-day trip to Rome from Pistoia? Any other suggestions? Thanks,

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
5. Re: 6 night stay

You can catch the train to Florence in three quarters of an hour, to Pisa in an hour and a half with a change at Lucca. Lucca itself is an hour away, which would certainly be worth a visit also. Prato is close by too, you could perhaps see if either of those appeal to you.

I don't know about Rome, you would need to get the train to Florence and then catch the fast train to Rome, so you would be looking at a two and a half hour journey each way and a train fare of 90 odd euros each for a return ticket, whereas all the other places I mention are just a few Euros each way. I'm not sure if the amount of time you would have there would make the cost and journey time worthwhile.

Italia
reviews: 1
6. Re: 6 night stay

.. are you sure you want be in Lucca??

Lucca is very nice and interesting..

if you like to stay in Lucca, look at: tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalReview-g187898…

it is a beautiful property, where you can have fun with all your family, and at the same time easily reach the most important cities of the Tuscany region.

From Lucca, you can take the bus and get into florence, but I suggest you to go by train in Florence, and while you are on the train from Florence, you will stop even in Psitoia with the same train. the line is Viareggio - Florence, so with the same train you can reach: Florence, Pistoia, Pescia (really nice), Montecatini Terme and Viareggio (seaside).

7. Re: 6 night stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 14, 2010