We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

Which Orvieto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Monticello, Illinois
reviews: 11
Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

Hi there, I note several previous posts about the Orvieto market days, and know there is a market in Orvieto on Thursdays. I am wondering, however, if there will be one on "Labor Day", May 1st. Would a market still take place on an Italian holiday? Thanks!

Texas
reviews: 2
1. Re: Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

I would also like to know what will be open in Orvieto on May 1. Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 3
2. Re: Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

I'm a Chicagoan who has lived in Italy for over 25 years - first in Rome and now in Orvieto! It's a great medieval town...you'll love it so I hope you're spending more than just a day here because there is so much to see and do! Also, if you need suggestions on where to stay just let me know....

Anyway, I went to the market up in Piazza del Popolo yesterday and the stall owners all told me unanimously that they will not be there on May 1st as it's our Labor Day ... rightly so! I was pretty sure but just wanted to double check for you. They might however move it up to April 30th but they weren't sure...

Monticello, Illinois
reviews: 11
3. Re: Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

Thank you for the reply---Sorry for the delayed note! Do you happen to know if Orvieto really "shuts down" on Labor day, or is it still worth a visit? Will the Duomo and restaurants be open? We are coming just for a day from Rome! Thank you!

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 9
4. Re: Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

Are there other markets on other days? We will be there from Sun 27 Apr until Sat 3 May (morning). We love food and look forward to trying as much of the local offerings as possible.

Chicago, Illinois
5. Re: Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

Ciao Mo T,

Orvieto will not shut down on May 1st ....just the outdoor market won't happen. All the restaurants, most shops, & wineries will be open as well as all the major attractions (Duomo, Orvieto Underground, St. Patrick's Well and the Tower of the Moor). Some of the museums might be closed though but the rest is business as usual. There will also be a wonderful ice cream festival in Orvieto called "Gelati d'Italia" from 01-04 May so if you love ice cream you can't miss this one! Definitely worth a 1-2 day visit plus a trip to Civita di Bagnoregio is in order as well! Have fun....

Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

Hey Doug703! You can catch the open air market on Saturday May 3rd in Piazza del Popolo ....also they might move the May 1st market to April 30th so you won't miss it...there are also tons of great restaurants and 2 wonderful gelaterie in Orvieto so if you're a foodie like I am you'll love it! Enjoy yourselves....

Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 9
7. Re: Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

Grazie! The notes about the market and the "Gelati d'Italia" are exciting. My wife, who is a big fan of gelato, is ecstatic. We can't wait to get our first bite of food and taste of Orvieto Classico upon our arrival in town!

8. Re: Orvieto Market on May 1, 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 23, 2015