We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

Which Orvieto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston MA
reviews: 19
Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

I am familiar with this site, orvietoonline.com/orvieto_raggiungere_orviet… and Rick Steve's advice:

"...drivers use a handy funicular that shuttles them quickly from the train station and car park at the base up to the hilltop town."

Like many before us, we are heading from Rome to Tuscany and considering a stop at Orvieto for lunch, visit Duomo, etc.

Is it SAFE to leave our car and luggage in this parking lot (or some other lot)? Is there somewhere convenient to check our luggage if it is not safe to leave it in the car?

San Jose, California
1. Re: Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

With most rental wagon or hatch-back cars, there is a cargo or privacy cover that you can pull over your luggage. I have left my car with luggage (privacy screen pulled) in the large car garage at the top of the hill, with no problem. However, all that being said, nobody can guarantee the safety of your luggage and belongings.

Perhaps another person might know of a luggage storage point.

UK
reviews: 54
2. Re: Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

Just a thought - why don't you take the train to Orvieto and collect your rental car from there rather than Rome. Avis and Hertz have offices close to the railway station where you could leave your luggage, head into town for lunch and then pick up your car plus luggage once the rental offices have re-opened after 3.30pm (weekdays only)

San Jose, California
3. Re: Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

I did not think Orvieto train station had luggage storage?

UK
4. Re: Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

I should have made myself clearer and written - Avis and Hertz have offices where you could leave your luggage, which are close to the railway station. Sorry for the confusion.

Boston MA
reviews: 19
5. Re: Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

Thanks, taking the train to Orvieto is great suggestion; however, I've already booked the rental car and it's too late to change the reservation. We are renting a Passat wagon and I expect it will have a cover to pull over the luggage, but I'm not sure how much protection that really offers. Do thieves really *only* hit cars that have luggage out in the open? How prevalent is crime like this anyway?

UK
6. Re: Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

We've never had any experience of theft from a luggage laden car in Italy. Maybe we were just lucky or perhaps because we didn't access our trunk/boot, where our luggage was stowed, after arrival and parked within line of sight of any restaurant we had stopped at.. Others on this forum may like to chip in with any adverse experiences?

San Jose, California
7. Re: Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

I have never had a problem in any of the places I have parked with luggage in the trunk - including the Venice Tronchetto lot. I pull the cover and it has never been visible. However, I don't think I would do this in larger cities like Naples or Milan or even Pisa. Orvieto IMO tends to be a bit safer as do many of the smaller villages and towns throughout Umbria and Tuscany.

8. Re: Safe parking near funicular for Orvieto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 17, 2012