We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

Which Orvieto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
reviews: 412
Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

I have one day allocated on an upcoming Italian holiday dedicated to staying in Orvieto. Is it worth my time to travel to Civita for a half-day?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

I don't think so. It was a deserted scenic village before Rick Steves "discovered" it. It is now a tourist trap, full of shops selling tatt.

Mooloolaba Australia
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
reviews: 63
2. Re: Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

disagree with Nick.......as it is not to far out of the way and the trip is a nice journey so pull what you want out of it..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civita_di_Bagnoregio

Assisi, Italy
reviews: 25
3. Re: Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

Go mid-week, you might be able to appreciate the timeless charm of the little town. If it wasn't for tourist it would have disappeared by now.

New York, NY
reviews: 412
4. Re: Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

Thanks for the advice. Had a great time in Orvieto and would love to come back. Didn't get to Civita this time. There is always next time.

Nizwa, Oman
reviews: 1
5. Re: Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

I am staying in Civita (as I have a number of time over the last few decades) and the question our visitors have is whether a side trip to Orvieto is worthwhile. (It is.) Civita is very special. It's inaccessibility to cars has left it relatively unspoiled. And, yes, tourism has kept alive this town that has been here for thousands of years. When I first started coming here, the only transport was a donkey that carried up large items, and the residents were colorful elderly people that the modern age seemed to have left behind. All the young people left for brighter futures in the city. Some of that olde-worlde charm is long gone, but tourism has brought new viability to Civita, providing jobs that offer a future to some of the young people and keep them here. Most (not all) of the little businesses are run by people whose families have lived here for as far back as records go. The views are spectacular, the new museum is very impressive, outstanding food (by local family) is available at Alma Civita, I strongly recommend an overnight, so you can experience Civita when the tourists have gone.

Nizwa, Oman
reviews: 1
6. Re: Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

I am staying in Civita (as I have a number of time over the last few decades) and the question our visitors have is whether a side trip to Orvieto is worthwhile. (It is.) Civita is very special. It's inaccessibility to cars has left it relatively unspoiled. And, yes, tourism has kept alive this town that has been here for thousands of years. When I first started coming here, the only transport was a donkey that carried up large items, and the residents were colorful elderly people that the modern age seemed to have left behind. All the young people left for brighter futures in the city. Some of that olde-worlde charm is long gone, but tourism has brought new viability to Civita, providing jobs that offer a future to some of the young people and keep them here. Most (not all) of the little businesses are run by people whose families have lived here for as far back as records go. The views are spectacular, the new museum is very impressive, outstanding food (by local family) is available at Alma Civita, I strongly recommend an overnight, so you can experience Civita when the tourists have gone.

Perth, Western...
reviews: 307
7. Re: Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

We agree with mammarti because Civita is a bit like Venice; a place with the territory foundations in danger.

Holmdel, N.J.
reviews: 7
8. Re: Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

Yes!....a lovely little village....we stopped there on our way from a Tuscany stay & found it very charming & not crowded as we visited in October

9. Re: Staying in Orvieto is a side-trip to Civita worth my time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 pm, June 17, 2013