We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

Which Orvieto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scarsdale, ny
reviews: 29
Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

I thought I'ld write about our quick trip to Orvieto. We decided to stop there on our way to Rome from Florence. We took a local train from Florence which actually took longer than I expected!(2.5 hrs.) I guess we were on the real, local, local train! It was well worth it though. We arrived with our luggage, two 22 in. bags, and one small kid's 15 in. rolling bag. I was a little concerned where we would leave our luggage, but it all worked out in the end. The funicular was fun and gave us a gorgeous view of the countryside. After the funicular we took a very short bus ride up a hill to where the beautiful church is located. There is a luggage store that will hold on to your luggage for the day(which we never found) Near the church we went to the Tourist/Info. office. The woman was so helpful ! She was nice enough to hold onto our luggage for the 5 hrs. we were there , since we never found the luggage store! We then set off and went into the church and paid to see the beautiful mosaics . From there we wandered around and had lunch and of course, gelato. The ceramics there were incredible! I actually took pictures of the merchants in their stores with all the pottery! We were able to bring some small pieces home and the store owner did a fabulous job wrapping the pieces in bubble wrap. Nothing got broken! I regret not having bigger pieces sent home! Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to go into the caves, which I would have loved to do! We found a very scenic spot near the path to the caves which was just breathtaking! It was a short visit, but I'm really happy we got to see Orvieto! Off we went to our short, hour ride to Rome.

Washington, DC
reviews: 54
1. Re: Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

I enjoyed your post, especially since we are considering a day trip to Orvieto from Rome. I've been on the fence, and you helped me decide to do it!

scarsdale, ny
2. Re: Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

I'm glad you are thinking of going! My kids weren't as interested in it as I was, but it was an interesting experience all the same! If you have your luggage with you, as we did, I would suggest asking on this forum where the luggage store is, in case the info/tourist center is closed for lunch. I believe it may be either down near the train station or near where you get the bus. I didn't have the exact location, so never found it. Good luck with your plans! You'll enjoy Orvieto!

Harrisburg, PA
3. Re: Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

You mentioned "your kids were not that interested". We are going in December with 14 and 16 year olds....any suggestions?

scarsdale, ny
4. Re: Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

Hi Luckytop,

Unfortunately, we didn't have time to go to the caves in Orvieto. I'm sure your kids will enjoy that because I've heard great things about it. During our 2 wk trip we went to the main cities, so I think my kids(ages 19, 15 ,8) were used to the excitement of running around to all the sights. Orvieto is a little more low key, which was what I loved about it . My friend's daughter (age 17 ) loved all the cute, little towns like Orvieto more than the big cities. It's all a matter of taste, I guess. The other thing is that my boys spent a lot of time waiting for me while I went in all the ceramic shops. I ended up buying my youngest a rubber ball there, and the three of them played catch in a little sqare, while waiting for me. Go to the Tourist Office there and see how they can help you. I'm sure you'll have a great time! Enjoy!

Livonia, Michigan
5. Re: Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

Hello, hatty07:

A friend and I are leaving for Rome in a week.......we have booked a driver to take us to Orvieto for a day (a BIG splurge.....:-)

I was glad to read your note, sounds like you had a great visit there.

I am interested in ceramics, but already thinking about complexity of bringing home.....do you remember a general cost for having ceramics shipped home by the seller??

Any restaurants you would recommend??

Thanks in advance......

Sophie

scarsdale, ny
6. Re: Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

Hi Sophie,

We loved Orvieto and had a wonderful time. To answer your question, no I don't know how much it costs to ship the ceramics home. I really wish I had though! I think you may regret it if you don't buy what you like! I bought about 10 small pieces that are really quite beautiful and not that expensive(small vase about 5-7E). The shop keepers did a wonderful job wrapping everything in bubble wrap and nothing broke! I decided not to bother having anything sent , but my husband did ask about having some wine sent home, which was rather pricey (a case for about $150) I wish I had some larger things sent home. They were really incredible. I can't tell you where we ate lunch. It was very good though, up a street to the right of the church . Hope this helps! I'm envious! You'll have a wonderful time!

Perth Australia
reviews: 10
7. Re: Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

Hi my Husband and I are in our fifties we spent 3 nights in orvieto

mid September it was wonderful to unwind after a 13 day tour.

Maybe 2 nights would have been enough because nearly all the

restaurants are closed wednesday nights.We had a beautiful dinner at La Paloma. For lunch you could buy pieces of pizza

that they put together like a sandwich and weigh it, cost just

over one euro. The little pottery vases are scented I wish I had

bought more for gifts. The countryside around Orvieto is Beautiful.

Just like Assisi, my favourites.

Cheers hope you enjoy it.

8. Re: Trip report: Quick day trip to Orvieto on the way to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 06, 2009