We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental cars in Montepulciano area

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
reviews: 2
rental cars in Montepulciano area

Hi

When organising a trip through Tuscany in April, I found it tricky to think how to get myself (and family) sorted, and was grateful for advice.

For those in same position...we caught train from Rome to Chiusi, with minimum of fuss we walked very short distance across road to Hertz, where our brand new/ as ordered car was waiting for us. We based ourselves in Montepulciano and Lucca, and returned the car at Venice.

There was some advice at the time that Hertz was closing, but this was not the case.

My contact online and at the time of pick-up was Sergio, and I found him fantastic. A good experience.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
reviews: 20
1. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

Thank you for this post. My husband and I are going on first trip to Italy in one month. I just discovered that we can train from Rome to Chiusi and then pick up car. We will base in Montepulciano 4 nights. It seems to be a good central location from which to visit Montalcino/Pienza, Assisi, Cortona, Siena. If you have suggestions regarding what we should not miss or if our plan appears to contain any "red flags" please let me know. Thanks very much!

australia
reviews: 2
2. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

That sounds great, and that's what we did.

After Rome we had 1 week in Tuscany. We spent 4 nights at Le Manzinaie near Montepulciano ( which is such a lovely, friendly place to stay) and with our hire car we visited all those places you mentioned. You are right- Montepulciano is a great central spot to stay. From Chiusi we also caught the train to Florence for a day trip.

Places such as Sienna we visited on our way through to Lucca where we spent the last 3 nights of our sojourn to Tuscany. Splitting our week in Tuscany to some time in the North and some time in the South worked well for us. We drove from Lucca to Venice and returned our car there.

Have a great time.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
3. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

Thanks! We are really looking forward to this trip.

edmonton
reviews: 17
4. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

Hello, we are also planning to take the train to Chiusi from Rome and rent a car there to spend 9 days in Tuscany with our home base in Montepulciano. I was wondering if someone could direct me to a web site that i can book the car rental from. I have heard that Aesserent is one company that is close to the train station but I don't see a way to reserve online. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
5. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

We rented from Hertz, located a very short walk from the Chiusi station.

edmonton
reviews: 17
6. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

Did you book in advance online or just when you got to the train station.

Thanks

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
7. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

Online in advance at www.hertz.com

Let me know if any other questions...it was a great trip and touring around was very easy. Do you have an iPhone or other GPS device?

Birmingham, AL
reviews: 62
8. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

My wife and I just returned from a week in Montepulciano and rented from Asserent which is the only auto rental office located across from the train station in Chiusi. Apparenly references to Hertz being across from the statio has created problems for them and they have posted a sign in their window stating that they are not Avis, Hertz, AutoEurope, Etc and can't help you with finding them.Our dealings went perfectly with no surprises. They kept their office open until our train arrived at 13:30 and let us dop the car in their secured lot on All Saints Day when they were closed. We used email and Skype to make our reseration and encountered no language barrier.

DC
reviews: 10
9. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

We had a bit of trouble locating the Hertz office in Chiusi because we didn't realize there are 2 exits out of the station. Of course, we exited using the wrong one.

Coto de Caza...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
10. Re: rental cars in Montepulciano area

We did have trouble finding Hertz at the Chiusi station when returning the car. If one is standing in front of the station it is on the street paralleling the station and to the left of the station, and is on the opposite side of the street than the station. Once found, it was a 1 minute walk across the street, to the right, and left into the station entrance.