We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights/3 days in Umbria with car from Rome

Which Montepulciano hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Beach, CA
2 nights/3 days in Umbria with car from Rome

Hello--

My husband and I are arriving in Rome at 8:00am on Sat Dec 20, and will be renting a car at the airport to take a drive around Umbria for 2 nights and 3 days before returning to Rome.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an Itinerary. I was toying with the following:

Early morning Day 1

Rome to Assisi, and then to Gubbio. Overnight in Gubbio.

Day 2

Gubbio to Perugia. Overnight in Perugia

Day 3

Early start. Perugia to Rome with stops in Castiglione del Lago for breakfast and then Montepulciano for lunch. Check into Rome hotel in evening, then late dinner in Rome.

Does anyone have an feedback?? Am I squeezing in too much?? Any other suggestions of how we should spend our time would be welcomed. ie different plces to visit instead or info on how much time would be adequate in each, weather issues. I have never been to any Umbrian cities, except Orvieto. I am also concerned with what the parking situation could be, particularly in Perugia.

Thank you,

Julianne

Mooloolaba Australia
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
reviews: 50
1. Re: 2 nights/3 days in Umbria with car from Rome

Why stay in Perugia..... not that exciting.

Perhaps pick a small village like montefalco/bevagna/Spello and then travel the others.

look in your message link for info on trip reports I can send you.

Long Beach, CA
2. Re: 2 nights/3 days in Umbria with car from Rome

So, Perugia is not so great and could/should be skipped in order to make time for other small towns??

Also, It will be December just before x-mas, and I'm not too sure of the weather in Umbria, and altitudes we could be traversing. I know it will be a bit chilly. Do I have to worry about snow on any of the driving routes from Rome?? Tire chains?? Not too sure of the capabilities of the Fiat Panda or similar we will be renting.

Please advise.

Thanks

Southern Tuscany
3. Re: 2 nights/3 days in Umbria with car from Rome

Fiat Pandas are a good car and there is a 4x4 model too that so many people around here drive. However, in all honesty, you shouldn't really need it and we only ever get our 4x4 out when we go off the road. Weatherwise it could do anything and a smattering of snow is always a possibility. But main roads are gritted and the snow ploughs out quite quickly, at least in Tuscany, can't speak for Umbria. We had snow late December a couple of winters back but it only lay in the fields for a few days and the roads were clear by the lunchtime on the first morning.

I agree about possibly not staying in Perugia though the city is worth a visit, especially the main picture gallery, the Pinacoteca which, if you are interested in Renaissance art, honestly shouldn't be missed. Parking's never easy though and you may be put off by the indescribably ugly sprawling suburbs, I know I certainly am every time I go there!

Day 3 is do-able with an early start. Castiglione is lovely on a sunny day and even in December you should find somewhere open earlyish for breakfast. (I have some great photographs of this town and views from it. If I haven't posted them already, I'll try and find time to do so in the next few days.) It's about 30/40 mins from here to Montepulciano and that's a good place for lunch but see the churches and the cathedral first as they close at 1 pm. Allow 3 hrs for the Montepulciano/ Roma drive, especially if you are not sure of where you're going to in the city.

Long Beach, CA
4. Re: 2 nights/3 days in Umbria with car from Rome

Thanks for the helpful info. We will be renting whatever the cheapest car will be, which often seems to be the Panda.

We will reconsider Perugia. Maybe it's not worth the trouble with the car/parking. Is it kind of like Milan or parts of Pisa in the big, dirty city devoid of much charm or character sense?? If so, we will skip. I thought it could be interesting being that it's a big city I had heard of, the place Baci and chocolate are produced and there was a big dot on the map near our route, so I figured., "why not?"I like renaissance art alright, but feel I have already seen enough to last almost a lifetime after living in florence for a semester, and returning a second time with my husband to re-visit all the tourist sights/museums/architecture/etc.

Where would you suggest staying over instead the second night??? Maybe just go from Gubbio to Montepulciano and Castiglione and stay over in one, and return to Rome earier on Day 3??? Thoughts??

Sydney Australia
reviews: 9
5. Re: 2 nights/3 days in Umbria with car from Rome

I found Perugia an interesting place to visit but several people told us it is murder to drive in. We stayed a week in Montepulciano and loved it. I recommend you stay at least overnight. Good luck!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
reviews: 81
6. Re: 2 nights/3 days in Umbria with car from Rome

Crowding a lot in to a short time. My wife and I have stayed for a week in Spoleto and also on another visit for a week in Gubbio and found a great deal to do and see around Umbria.

Rome to Gubbio in one day, including Assisi means you will miss a great deal. Lots of interesting places on route - narni, Terni, Spoleto, Trevi, Montefalco, Spello, all before you even reach Assisi.

I suggest taking two days to reach Gubbio (not that far to reach Urbino for a day trip incidentally). We drove back from Gubbio direct to Rome airport in the day.

7. Re: 2 nights/3 days in Umbria with car from Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, October 11, 2009