We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this the right holiday destination?

Which Montecatini Terme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, UK
reviews: 44
Is this the right holiday destination?

Hi everyone,

My grandparents are looking to book a holiday for September and can't find any inspiration - I was thinking of suggesting Italy as they took me there many times as a child (Sorrento, the lakes, the Riviera, Venice) and have more recently enjoyed holidays in lesser developed areas of Turkey but can't face the long flight. They like exploring and culture so at first I was wondering if Lucca would be a good choice, however someone suggested Montecatini Terme and now I am leaning more towards this, does everyone agree that it is a better base for Tuscany than Lucca? They want somewhere with plenty of restaurants and quiet bars for the evening, with good transport links for exploring the local area during the day. They would want a small and friendly hotel for a good price; it doesn't matter if it's basic or has a pool. I know that brochure holidays to Tuscany aren't easy to come by so would it be easy for them to "do it themselves" - they are active 60-somethings.

Thanks for any advice in advance :)

Amy

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: Is this the right holiday destination?

I personally think Lucca is much nicer than Montecatini.

Lucca, Italy
reviews: 23
2. Re: Is this the right holiday destination?

I prefer Lucca too.

Latina, Italy
3. Re: Is this the right holiday destination?

Montecatini is a spa town. It will be busy in September with people "taking the waters" as we old Edwardians say. The vast majority of its clientele are elderly. Unless your grandparents are looking for company of their own age and older (and from what you say I rather doubt it), I'd go for Lucca. Lots of things to see and do in Lucca and plenty of transport to areas roiund about.

Washington DC
reviews: 3
4. Re: Is this the right holiday destination?

We chose to base ourselves in Montecontini Terme - small, walkable and centrally located for west and northern day trips. We only will be there in the evening, so we can have dinner, drink and not have to drive anywhere. We will be taking day trips from there, either by car or by train (to Lucca and Pisa). Since we have a car we fear the ZTL zones in Lucca and Montecontini Terme does not have ZTL issues. Lucca is beautiful and very appealing, but busier. Hope my two cents helps!!

We are staying at a B&B.

5. Re: Is this the right holiday destination?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 03, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Montecatini Terme