We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

Which Montecatini Terme hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
reviews: 43
Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

I have been researching my trip for next year and I have found a villa I am considering renting in Montecatini Alto. We will be flying into Florence and taking the train to Montecatini Terme. I understand there are two train stations. Which one should I go to in order to easily get up to Montecatini Alto?

Are taxis readily available in October and what would the cost be to go up there?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

The bus from Florence airport stops outside the main train station, Santa Maria Novella, which is where you catch a train to Montecatini Terme. There is absolutely no point trying to book this train in advance. There are no seat reservations and tickets cannot sell out.

It is some 7 km from Montecatini Terme to Montecatini Alto, so a taxi might be €15.

However, if you are going to stay in Montecatino Alto, you would do better to rent a car at Florence airport and drive. You will need a car if you want to easily visit other places in the area.

Portland, OR
2. Re: Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

Thanks for the info but I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I understand there are TWO train stations in Montecatini? If so, which one would be best to get off at?

I am not planning on booking a regional train in advance because I know it isn't possible. I just need the info so I can let the rest of the people in my group know the best way to get to the villa.

Is there a bus that goes up to Montecatini Alto or is the only transport via taxi?

Thanks again!

San Jose, California
3. Re: Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

Here, this might help:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194830-i1078-k215…

4. Re: Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:36 pm, November 02, 2011
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

If you do not want to do the walk to the funicolare as in the above-linked thread, there is an hourly bus at http://www.blubus.it/Invernale/IQ_105.pdf which leaves from Piazza Italia, very close to Montecatini Centro station.

Maybe there are others as well if you check all the lines on http://www.blubus.it/indice-linee.html

Portland, OR
6. Re: Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

Thanks so much!

San Jose, California
7. Re: Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

By the way, the two trains stations are little more than 1km away from each other. Though I think the centro is probably the "closest" to Montecatini Alto.

La Jolla, California
reviews: 1
8. Re: Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

If you will take a taxi you should go to the first station and the largest. There are few cabs at the Centro station. It is a long way to Alto. I don't know you but I am not certain there is much to do in Alto as it is isolated without a car.

9. Re: Staying in Montecatini Alto - Which Train Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 16, 2013