We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

Which Menaggio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 12
Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

Hi, does anyone know of any public transport coaches that travel regularly between Malpensa/Menaggio? We looked on previous forums but they were either out of date or old links.

Thanks.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
reviews: 78
1. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

No direct service -- it's train from Malpensa to Como Lago (change at Saronno) - www.trenord.it - hence C10 bus to Menaggio - asfautolinee.it/Portals/…c10.pdf

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 49
2. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

I did that exact trip about 9 months ago.

At Malpensa T1 (Terminal 1) take a train to Saronno, then a train to Como Nord Lago. Short walk outside to the left (past the gelateria!) and you'll see the lake before you.

Then It's a ferry / boat ride. Book your tickets, and if there's a substantial wait, you can stroll around Como or grab a meal / drink.

I took the fast boat - and it took about an hour from Como to Menaggio and was gorgeous.

Note: there was a one hour wait at Saronno between trains around midday when I did it.

South Australia
3. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

Another option Train Malpensa Aeroporto to Varenna www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html Check train times seven days in advance

Varenna to Menaggio ferry www.navigazionelaghi.it

UK
4. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

Thank you - you are all very helpful. We may do the Malpensa-Varenna-Menaggio route as it sounds more direct? Anyway I hope we don't miss our connections!

Thank you.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
5. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

It may +sound+ more direct, but it is in fact much longer, as it involves going through Milan.

The two routes imply two changes any way you put it.

Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

I have to add that the brief stop in Como before I took the boat was pretty nice.

Besides, I got to visit Varenna from Menaggio a couple of days later anyway. Can I recommend this in Varenna - best day I have enjoyed in Italy (ever): tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g187837…

UK
7. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

Yes you are right - we just looked at the map! Changing from train to ferry only bothers us because we are carrying heavy cases. You have all been so helpful. Thank you.

York, United Kingdom
reviews: 20
8. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

We did the journey from Malpensa - Saroona - Como - Mennagio a year ago and it all went like clockwork. I had researched train/bus times in advance, which I thought would fail since we only had a few minutes to change at Saronna but it was all very easy and to time and we caught the last bus from Como.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

In regards to your concern around changing from a train to a ferry being possibly bothersome with heavy suitcases... obviously I don't know how heavy your suitcases will be, but I had: a 25 kilogram suitcase with just 2 wheels, a laptop bag, my carry-on bag from the flight to Milan (perhaps 6 or 7 kilograms), a coat and an umbrella and it was no trouble at all to take a ferry from Como.

I can't see how a change from train to bus / coach could be any easier - a change of vehicle is a change of vehicle either way and you'd still have to load and unload.

Edited: 7:41 pm, June 11, 2012
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
10. Re: Malpensa to Menaggio - coaches?

#9 - I guess Pippa was referring to changing from the train to the ferry in Varenna, not in Como. The distance from the Varenna train station to the ferry pier is about 1 km which, in spite of being gently downhill, can be a problem in some cases.