We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Milan Malpensa to Menaggio

Which Menaggio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Transport from Milan Malpensa to Menaggio

My wife and I are arriving in Milan Maplensa airport at 8.30p.m. on Sept 18th and have booked accommodation in Menaggio from Sept 19th. We realise that it will be too late to get to Menaggio on the night of Sept 18th and will probably book a hotel somewhere near Malpensa or Como, depending on bus/train schedules. Can anyone advise on (1) where is the most covenient place to stay and (2)public transport to Menaggio - we would prefer to travel by bus if possible, because of baggage.

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
1. Re: Transport from Milan Malpensa to Menaggio

I would stay in MIlan the first night and the next day take the train to Varenna and then the ferry to Menaggio. It's a straight shot across the lake from Varenna. You can get a taxi from the station in Varenna to the ferry dock. If you are interested in this option, I can find the taxi phone number in my card collection. We used Rita and she was very nice.

There is probably a bus from Como but the only one I've taken is from Lugano.

TAB

Ireland
2. Re: Transport from Milan Malpensa to Menaggio

Thanks TAB

Another option I was thinking of was getting a train/bus to Varenna or Lugano when we arrive on Sept 18th and getting accommodation in either of these places overnight beore moving on to Menaggio the following day. Would it be possible to get transport late at night to the towns mentioned.

All advice welcome.

Bill

United States
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 13
3. Re: Transport from Milan Malpensa to Menaggio

You can look up train schedules here:

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

The last train from MIlan Centrale to Varenna that I found was 21:05 which you couldn't make with your arrival time. There are later trains for Como leaving from another train station in Milan with which I am not familiar. I couldn't find a train to Lugano that late at night either.

I know there is a connection from the airport via the Malpensa Express which departs from Terminal 1 for Milan's Cadorna Rail Station every 30 minutes. It also stops at Milan Bovisa and Saronno stations.The last train departs 21.45. Those connections might have something for Como but you will have a lot of baggage handling to cope with during the changes. I don't have any experience with the Malpensa Express.

TAB

Donaghadee, United...
reviews: 83
4. Re: Transport from Milan Malpensa to Menaggio

We are going to Varenna later this month and arrive in Malpensa at 20.30 ish. I have done quite a lot of research on this as I was keen to make a start on the travel the night we arrive. I looked at getting the coach from Malpensa into Milan - which drops you at Milan Centrale train station and staying in a hotel near there then getting train to Varenna next day. Looked at loads of hotels and to be honest a lot looked pretty basic - and the area near to the train station - as in any big city - seems to be a bit ropey! A lady in my Italian class has a daughter who lives in Milan and she advised that staying near the airport is probably a better choice if you aren't looking around Milan and are heading striaght off next day. We have now booked the Crowne Plaza at the airport - will get their free shuttle to airport next day and catch 10.40 coach to Milan for 7 euros, then 12.20 train to Varenna arriving at 13.23 for 7.65 euros first class or 5.10 second class.

Then you would have to ferry to Menaggio.

5. Re: Transport from Milan Malpensa to Menaggio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, October 02, 2009