We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Which Livigno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin
reviews: 16
Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Whilst in Livigno last week I noticed quite a lot of people on the nursery slopes who were beginners. I have no doubt that most of them travelled with tour operators and were sold full adult passes on the coach on the way to Livigno. A full adult pass during high season costs €177 and the cost for a child is €122.50. There is an offer available whereby if a family (two adults and two children born between 1995 and 2000) purchase passes one child pass is free saving €122.50. I am aware that some of the reps are not advising clients of this offer.

A full pass is only beneficial if you are reasonably confident and will use the gondolas and chairs most days during your stay. For those of you who dont make it off the lower slopes except for the one trip your class will make to the blue run on Motollino there is a pass available based on Points at a fraction of the cost of the full pass. Each time you use a lift points are deducted from your pass - the pass can be topped up similar to a mobile phone. Any unused points are purchased back by the skipass office at the end of your stay.

The cost of a points pass is as follows

400 points = €68.50

200 Points = €35.00

100 points = €18.00

I have outlined below the main lifts that the skischools use and the points needed for each lift (oneway trip) Based on this it would take a while to run up 400 points even if you used 800 points in the week you are still saving money on a full pass.

Lift 10 Amerikan 10 points

Lift 17 San Rocco(drag) 7 points

Lift 17 San Rocco(Chair) 9 points

Lift 18 Doss 8 points

Lift 18 Carpet 0 points

Lift 20 6 points

Lift 23 8 points

Lift 2 (Mottolino Drag) 11 points

The skipass can be purchased at most of the lifts a full listing is available on www.skipasslivigno.com

In terms of classes for the last three years we have used the Galli Fedele Ski School at lift 18 which we have found excellent. Group classes are €105 per person for the week - IMO these are great for the children as they learn a lot quicker than adults. I have had personal experience of adult classes and you will only progress at the same rate as the weakest person in the group. If you are travelling with a group of adults it may be worth looking at arranging your own private group class as the costs are very competitive - this of course is providing that you are all of similar ability. The cost of a private one hour lesson in Galli Fedele is €34 for one person €44 for two people as the group gets bigger the incremental costs reduce so it potentially could work out cheaper than a group lesson and your group will more than likely be smaller as most group classes have a min of 12 people. I now take private lessons as a couple of hours private tuition at a cost of €68 is more beneficial to me than a week of group lessons. You can organise your lessons at lift 18 or at the Galli Fedele Office which is just up from Marco's Bar on the right hand side as you head twoards San Rocco.

All of the above are very easy to organise dont be put off by a rep who tells you its easier to have everything organised on the coach prior to arrival - its not and this is based on personal experience. The tour operators get commission on your sale and they are motivated by this rather than your best interest.

On our arrival last Saturday week we had ski and boot hire, lift passes and classes organised in the space of one hour.

Regards

Sorchs

33 replies to this topic
Leeds
reviews: 13
1. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Top effort Sorchs, excellent information and should help anyone going out to Livigno for the first or second time, but in particular those travelling with tour companys. Back in the days when we went with Airtours, I listened to the reps saying the best ski hire deal was from Gallis, best price, top skis,then get hit with an extra charge for insurance. On ski hire we're spoilt for choice just go to the nearest ones and ask. But your info on lift passes/points for beginners should save them money.

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 8
2. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Excellent Info,

Just to add that getting ski/boot hire from tour operator will almost certainly guarantee you a long queue. Lots of other people arriving on same plane will be looking for boots/skis at same time. This can not only be frustrating but can lead to ill fitting boots with fitting being rushed if not enough time is spent on each person.

And while I'm on about it the recommended hire shop can be a fair journey from your room.

Cian

liverpool
reviews: 56
3. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Sorchs an excellent post, very informative and very helpful.

I would absolutely agree with your comments, dont be fooled by the tour operators, check it out 1st and whilst ski passes are generally 1 price heever you go, certainly ski equipment and tyition are most definately negotiable.

also agree with the group levels especially advanced class, they do tend to divvy up the numbers and you can get bogged down with a couple of skiers not at same level, or likeiwse you spend 1/2 your lesson waiting, do for individual lessons

London
Destination Expert
for Livigno
reviews: 43
4. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

excellent post Sorchs and well deserving of being a Sticky post.

Lets all start arranging next years hols!!

HTN

bristol
reviews: 1
5. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

excellent info and totally agree with sorchs, i have used galli fidelli ski school in the past and also topclub(now known as centrale) privates are definately the way to go if you have a reasonable group. can i also add that when the euro is at a good exchange rate and if you have the finances it can also be cheaper to buy your ski's in livigno use them for the duration and sell them during the ski season in england. we have not lost money this way and often made a couple of quid....not this year though!!!

hannah

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
6. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Thanks sorchs. Great info. I put this post as a sticky so that it won't get lost in old posts. It'll be a big help to people heading to Livigno in the future.

Dublin
reviews: 16
7. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Thanks Chrella

It really did annoy me when I was there in Feb to see people who did not make it off the nursery slopes with full passes - when they could have skied for a fraction of what they paid but the reps who sold them the passes dont care as they get their commission. I really cannot understand that mentality it is so under hand and dishonest. It also does not help the prospect of repeat business for Livigno as if you end up paying €177 to ski down the doss 17 or 18 for the week you are not going to be encouraged to go back - but I would'nt imagine that is in their thought process.

Regards

Sorchs

Livigno, Italy
8. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Hi - just a note on the skipass issue.

The large tour operators do not sell points cards or Family passes because they do not get any commission on these - however most of the large Tour operators also go via the large local agencies - who will also not allow the reps to sell these items. Do not think it is just the policy of the large tour operators - it is also the policy of the local agencies and the lift operators - hence next winter the points cards are going up in price- not a lot but ebough to make people think twice.

Also what most tourists do not understand is that all lifts are owned by individuals who get paid by percentage passes on their lift - so if a ski school is on one lift they are expected to keep all their clients going up and down likle crazy on that lift - I could give more info but as there are other locals who look on this page I will not do this - it is no secret who I am. Before slamming the tour operators and reps - in other words - local politics - rules the roost and there is nothing anyone can do about this as the beds are in Livigno and if these companies want them....

Renjac

manchester
reviews: 2
9. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Hello

Can you use points to go up in Gondolas.

My sister is coming with us at Easter ,she does not ski but will be coming up the mountain for lunches and the cheese & wine party.

Hardly seems worth buying a full lift pass

Thanks

Col

London
Destination Expert
for Livigno
reviews: 43
10. Re: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information

Yes you can use points on the Gondola, which is a sensible option if the person is going to ski on the nursery slopes a little.

If not you can just buy a return ticket on the gondolas at the office prior to getting on. Lots of people, non-skiers, families, people with babies in buggies, even people take their dogs up there!

HTN

Reply to: Ski Pass/Classes Costs - Some Useful Information
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted