We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus from catania AP to Milazzo

Which Lipari hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asheville, NC
reviews: 93
bus from catania AP to Milazzo

We are going to be in Taormino, no car, and need to get to Milazzo for the ferry to the Aeolians. What is the best way? Is there a bus? Does it go to the ferry port? I understand the one bus daily from Catania Airport to Milazzo arrives too late to get a ferry to any of the Aeolian Islands. ; is this true? It would be chasing our tail to go to the airport and double back on the bus, wouldn't it? Also, does this bus also go to the ferry port?

Thanks for your help out there!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
11. Re: bus from catania AP to Milazzo

Welcome to Sicily johnedward090!

There is no direct bus between Catania and Milazzo, but you could take the direct SAIS Autolinee bus from Catania to Messina and take the Ustica Lines hydrofoil from Messina to Lipari.

http://www.saisautolinee.it/

You could take the train from Catania to Milazzo, but then you would also take the AST bus from Milazzo’s train station to Milazzo’s port.

Vagabonda

London, United...
12. Re: bus from catania AP to Milazzo

Thank you Vagabonda - that is a help.

Do you know the website addresses for:-

Trains - Catania - Messina ?

Hydrofoil - Messina to Lipari.?

We would like to do the journey on one day if the times fit in.

johnedward090

Edited: 5:05 am, July 08, 2011
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
13. Re: bus from catania AP to Milazzo

Prego johnedward090,

You would check the Trenitalia site for trains from Catania to Messina, and the SAIS Autolinee bus does this route as well. The train service runs from Catania, not the airport. There is no train station at the airport.

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

The port is located about 400m from the front entrance of Messina Centrale – Walk right as you exit the station and you will see the port.

planetware.com/map/messina-map-i-mess_c.htm

Ustica Lines runs the hydrofoil service from Messina to Lipari – Just know that there is more frequent ferry and hydrofoil service from Milazzo to Lipari.

www.usticalines.it/eng/paginaeolie.php?idg=5

Vagabonda

Edited: 5:14 am, July 08, 2011
new jersey
reviews: 15
14. Re: bus from catania AP to Milazzo

We are planning a trip to Sicily and would like to visit Lipari in November 2011. However, I have researched several bus lines from Catania Airport to Port of Miazzo where we could catch the hydrofoil to Lipari. Can someone give me a updated bus schedule from Catania Airport to Port of Milazzo, travel dates Nov 1 - 15, 2011 and vice versa.

I also read in this forum that there is only ONE Ustica Lines (hydrofoil) schedule to and from Lipari? I checked the web and there are at least FOUR from Sept 16 - May 31 (Winter schedule). Can someone please confirm if the web is correct. Thank you for all your replies.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
15. Re: bus from catania AP to Milazzo

Ciao evelynjd,

Have you checked your other thread? Bus information is posted on that thread. There is no Giuntabus service from Catania's airport after 30 September.

nicest place to stay on Salina:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g666536-i12648-k43…

November is not a good time to visit Lipari – The tourist season would have ended, and there’s the potential for stormy weather, rough seas, and the suspension of ferry service. Many hotels and restaurants close during the low season.

frommers.com/destinations/…0777010001.html

There is only one crossing from Messina to Lipari in winter, but Milazzo is the preferred port and there are five crossings from Milazzo to Lipari.

www.usticalines.it/eng/paginaeolie.php?idg=5

Vagabonda

Basel, Switzerland
reviews: 40
16. Re: bus from catania AP to Milazzo

We will be arriving early on a June morning to Catania (8:30am), final destination is Lipari. The Giuntbus to Milazzo doesnt run until 12. However, there is shuttle from the airport that leaves at 10:30 but looks like we must book i advance? the web site www.garagedelleisole.it This shuttle costs Euro 28,50.

Or would it be better to take a bus to Messina and get a hydrofoil/ferry from there rather than Milazzo? Is there an advantage to leaving from the Milazzo port?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
17. Re: bus from catania AP to Milazzo

Yes, book the Garage delle Isole shuttle in advance – It’s very convenient!

Milazzo is the preferred port with the most frequent ferry (Siremar) and hydrofoil crossings (Ustica Lines and Siremar). The crossing is also longer and more expensive from Messina than from Milazzo.

If you’d like still another alternatieve, you could take the SAIS Autoleinee service from Aeroporto Catania, and then continue onward from Messina to Milazzo’s port via Giuntabus Trasporti (different from Giuntabus!!!).

www.giuntabustrasporti.com/index.asp…

Vagabonda

Asheville, NC
reviews: 93
18. Re: bus from catania AP to Milazzo

not sure i totally understand your itinerary, but we did a trip a few months ago across Sicily from Palermo, ended up in touristy resort of Taormina (north of the Catania airport and south of Messina/Milazzo) and wanted to get to the Aeolians; we easily caught a bus from Taormina to Messina. It was seamless- and far closer than getting to Milazzo. It let us off at the station, about 100 yards from the fast hydrofoil to the Aoelians. No need to go to Milazzo, we determined. We had been advised that Milazzo was a better embarkation point to the Aeolians but found that to be untrue. Check the ferry schedules online to get the detailed schedule about which ferry at what time goes to which islands; easy to decipher; then buy your ticket at the port ferry office (small window at the entry to the dock) for a far less than booking online. Ferry was comfortably crowded but not overly so.

We stayed 5 days at Salina (ferry stops first a the much more poulated Lipari on the way) and had a wonderful stay, took a couple of day trips to other islands, can make recommendations to you if you'd like.

At the end we got a ferry from the Aeolians all the way back to palermo and stayed a night near the dock, very easy, and then went to the airport to fly home the next day. Well worth the effort it takes to do the homework online first!!!

19. Re: bus from catania AP to Milazzo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, June 19, 2013