We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Lecce

Which Lecce hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 1
Travel to Lecce

I have a 3 night garden suite package at the Risorgimento Resort in Lecce. Obviously three nights anywhere in Italy is not enough. I am in the US and want to know the best way to get to Lecce, as well as some other recommendations for an extended, but less expense visit. Should we fly into Rome, spend a few days then take the train to Lecce? Any options for a costal stay near Lecce? I have been to Rome, Pompeii, Sorento, Naples, Positano, Capri, and would like to see other areas, but my partner has never been so I might have to concede a bit.

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Travel to Lecce

Trenitalia Frecciargento train from Roma Termini to Lecce (if possible with the discounted ECONOMY or SUPER ECONOMY promotional fare):

www.trenitalia.it

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
2. Re: Travel to Lecce

Why not book a straight-through transatlantic (one itinerary) ticket to Brindisi and then take the Pugliairbus from Brindisi’s airport to Lecce?

…aeroportidipuglia.it/Shuttle-Bus-Puglia-Air…

Then enjoy Gallipoli, Otranto, Puglia, and even Matera - Great Beach Location Needed:

tripadvisor.com/…36905960

See Rome at the end of your route to better position for your departing flight.

Vagabonda

Edited: 7:57 pm, January 29, 2013
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 33
3. Re: Travel to Lecce

I think 3 nights is enough for Lecce. We were there for a week in October and felt it was much too long. You might want to take day trips by train to Otranto or Gallipoli, to see the beautiful coast. We especially liked Gallipoli. Depending on how much time you have, you might spend 3 nights in Lecce and 3 nights in Gallipoli.

A caution ... if you take the Pugliair bus from Brindisi to Lecce, you will need to find a taxi to your hotel. If you take a train, it will drop you off within walking distance to your hotel.

We felt that Matera is a must-see if you are in this region; we think 2 nights is a good stay for Matera. We also spent 5 nights in a masseria (similar to an agriturismo) near Torre Canne, which was the highlight of our trip. We had a car here, to explore the trulli villages (Alberobello, Locorotondo) and the coastline.

We also stayed in Trani, in northern Puglia, which is a beautiful harbor town. Another good coastal town would be Monopoli, where we did not stay but heard many good things about from other travellers.

I think a good trip might be Rome>Lecce by train, then visit Matera, pick up a car, stay in a masseria and explore the Valle d'Itria and the coast, then drop off the car and train back to Rome from Bari or Brindisi.

Takapuna, New...
reviews: 35
4. Re: Travel to Lecce

At the end of a European holiday in 2011, my wife and I drove from Perugia, down the Adriatic Coast of Italy staying 1 night in Vieste, the next night in a Trulli in the heart of Alberobello, then 1 night in Lecce at Risorgimento Resort, then 1 night in the Sassi district of Matera, then on to Rome. We felt that we had enough time in each location and had no problems with the driving nor parking.

http://www.palacehotelvieste.it/en/index.htm

http://www.trulliepuglia.com/en

http://www.locandadisanmartino.it/en/hotel/

Tallahassee, Florida
reviews: 5
5. Re: Travel to Lecce

I have done both, flown and taken the train Rome to Lecce. It is cheaper to fly and easy. Alitalia has several flights to Brindisi where you can get a car or train for the 1/2 hour to Lecce. Be sure to visit Santa Cesarea on the Salentine coast. Yes Matera is a must...about 2.5 hours from Lecce. My favorite is Ostuni..la citta bianca.

Edited: 12:59 pm, February 24, 2013
6. Re: Travel to Lecce

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 pm, February 24, 2013
7. Re: Travel to Lecce

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 26, 2014