We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Which Giardini Naxos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 108
Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

MY friend and I are joining a tour which starts from Giardini Naxos end of July. The tour will be staying at Sant Alphio Garden in Giadini Naxos. We are arriving one day early and have the following questions:-

1. What choices of transportation are available from Catania to Giardini Naxos? Is it easy to take a taxi and how much will it cost? How long does it take to travel by taxi from Catania airport to Giardini Naxos.

2. Are there any 4 or 5 star hotels near Sant Alphio Garden? Thinking of staying one night in a nearby hotel and then transfer to Sant Alphio Garden to join the tour group the next day.

3. Any suggestion of nearby sights to see for one day?

Thanks

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
11. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

A private transfer would be the most convenient transport – Nothing is ever as convenient as a door-to-door transfer.

3 transfer companys, 3 different prices. Which to take?:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k4603…

Interbus runs direct bus service from Catania’s airport (Aeroporto Catania) to Giardini-Naxos – Be sure to check if your hotel is located in Giardini-Naxos or Recanati. Many hotels list Giardini-Naxos, but they are really located in Recanati. Then enter Recanati on the Interbus site.

http://www.interbus.it/

These earlier threads discuss activities for children – You might consider Etnaland.

http://www.etnaland.eu/

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k4591…

Sicily with children:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k3357…

Sicily with children:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k4368…

Enjoy!

Vagabonda

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 33
12. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

thanks, Vagabonda. I have looked through those links and beginning to think that perhaps, 10 days is going to be to long in Giardani Naxos? Do you think we should diversify our holidays by staying elsewhere as as well? Where would be the best place to combile some amusement for kids + experience local winnery and olive farms, as well as cooking experience, perhaps (are there things like cooking experience that where kids can get involved as well?)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
13. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Prego flyaway78,

Is there any possibility you would hire a car?

Vagabonda

Dublin, Ireland
14. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

I would be a nervous passenger if we do - don't like my husband driving in unknown places...but a possibility nevertheless. I would much prefer a breakdown of little towns where we could stay a night without having to drive ourselves...

Dublin, Ireland
15. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Vagabonda, I've read some previous posts on transport from Catania airport and have a question to ask: am I correct to assume that inter bus.it service brings us directly to Ceasar Palace Hotel? If that's the case and the bus service is reliable, surely it is just as easier (and much cheaper!) to take that bus, perhaps?

Also, do you think it is a nice area to stay or is it close to Recanti area that is much criticized?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
16. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Ciao flyaway78,

Have you decided on the car hire? You might split your time between Giardini and Cefalù.

Assuming you have not, take your children by Interbus to the cool and refreshing gorge at Gole Dell'alcantara (Gole Alcantara on the Interbus site).

http://www.interbus.it/Home.aspx

And you might arrange a transfer for the day to Etnaland.

And also take a group bus excursion to the Aeolians for the day, preferably by ferry with a delightful open top deck for them to enjoy.

www.sat-group.it/excursion_en.asp?cod=summer

saistours.com/downloads/EscursioniLocandina.…

http://www.interbus.it/Escursioni.aspx

thomsonexcursions.co.uk/search-excursions/IT…

And certainly take them on a boat in Giardini Bay!

Gita in barca nei dintorni di Giardini Naxos:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g194774-i1360-k463…

And if it’s not too hot, you might take Interbus up to Castelmola, enjoy lunch and then walk down to Taormina on the trail.

No, Interbus is for tourists and locals alike and the bus will make stops along the way between the airport and Recanati. It’s direct meaning no connections, but it’s not nonstop.

There have also been reports of pickpockets on this bus, so beware!!

Sant Alphio Garden Hotel & Spa is located in Recanati.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194774-d297032…

Vagabonda

Dublin, Ireland
17. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Guys, tomorrow is our final night in Ceasar Palace, Giardini Naxos, and we are loving it!!!

Such a lovely place to stay with a family with young children, they look after you a 100 per cent, food is phenomenal and their manager, Frankie, looked after us as if we were a member of his family:-)

Do try a nice little restaurant, if you are there, called Sayonara, just beside the main entrance to Lido Naxos beach - the service and food there are superb!

Dublin, Ireland
18. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Guys, tomorrow is our final night in Ceasar Palace, Giardini Naxos, and we are loving it!!!

Such a lovely place to stay with a family with young children, they look after you a 100 per cent, food is phenomenal and their manager, Frankie, looked after us as if we were a member of his family:-)

Do try a nice little restaurant, if you are there, called Sayonara, just beside the main entrance to Lido Naxos beach - the service and food there are superb!

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 1
19. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

Can you walk from Giardini Naxox to Taormina to Catinia? how far is it between cities?

where/who do you recommend hiring a car/van with driver?

October middle two week trip....can you recommend activity for adults?

thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
20. Re: Hotel/transportation from airport/things to do

We used Salvatore Ponturo tel 380 715 3302 or 345 343 1282, as a driver - he is a shuttle bus driver for Caeser Palace Hotel and he brought us on a Godfather tour that I certainly can recommend as an option - really enjoyed that! And then he brought us for lunch in this really amazing restaurant with a fantastic view where for 30 euro per person you can eat as much as you want (fish dishes mainly) - and it was just unforgettable!! (Can't remember an exact name, but he'll tell you, something like Augustini? - sorry, can't be precise)

I would not walk to Taormina - too far, definitely.

In terms of other activities - we took a boat trip with Captain Nino, tel 0942 53534 or 330 974092 who treats you to a glass of his very own Vino Mandorla (almond wine) while he is brining you around the beautiful coastal area - truly the best Vino Mandorla I have tried! Try a trip to Castelmola - and having sampled a cake and wine at the top of the mountain, take a stroll to a little pizzeria called Gallo Cedrone, tel 0942 632045 where Riccardo Roberto Irene and mamma Maria;-) will cook for you (the best pizza we've tried!) and you will enjoy a view of Etna on their sunny terrace.

We did not manage to take a trip to an olive farm or a vinyard but this is certainly something I would love to do if I was there again! A word of advice though: bre-book and pre-arrange your trips and transfers before you go, don't leave it til you are there, as there is a tendency amongst the locals to increase their prices for unprepared tourists and unless you are a fluent Italian speaker - you won't outbargain sicilians!;-)

Etnaland is fun too if you are into waterslides - I am a bit scared of those;-) but my kids and my husband loved it!