We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

Which Garda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Belfast, United...
1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

Hi

My husband & I both early 40's are planning to visit Lake Garda early September, will be flying into Verona. Problem is don't know where to stay. We will be staying 5/6 days. We are not in to sitting in the sun. We would hope to visit Gardaland, tour of Dolomites, wine tour, visit other towns around the lake & maybe squeeze in some scuba diving.

My question is, is Garda town a good base for our stay or does anyone have any other suggestions. Just to mention we will be dependant on public transport.

Thank you

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
reviews: 12
1. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

Hi, the town of Garda would be a good choice as would the next door town of Bardolino. Both towns are a relatively short journey from Verona Airport. What time will your flight arrive?

Many hotels offer a transfer service from the airport so it's something to look for when checking accommodation availability.

The closest town to Gardaland is Lazise, a very picturesque town but it doesn't have quite as good a boat service as Garda or Bardolino.

These sites will give some information about scuba diving at the lake:

gardaworld.com/Lake-Garda/EN/c/90/1/35/Divin…

www.gardatrentino.it/en/Diving-Lake-Garda/

visitgarda.com/en/…

Hinckley, United...
2. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

Garda town is a good place to stay (we are going in a month for our 6th visit!) Also you could try Bardalino as you can walk both directions along the lake path with ease. It's also easy from either to go to Gardland if you wish. Garda town has good ferries to all other parts of the lake and an excellent bus service to lake towns as well as Verona and Venice. There are lots of places to stay and restaurants line the lakeside. There is often street entertainment in the evening with music and dancing as well as the odd free open air concert. Not sure about scuba diving as I have never seen it happening in the lake, although people do swim and fish.

Wombat

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
reviews: 61
3. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

Hi, I agree either Garda or Bardolino are good places to stay. They both have very good ferry services for getting around the lake and an excellent bus service that travels up the entire eastern side of the lake between Peschiera del Garda and Riva del Garda, and also Verona.

…verona.it/atv_www/…62-64.pdf

This is the ferry timetable that will be in operation in September.

navigazionelaghi.it/file2/…201.pdf

Belfast, United...
4. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

Thank you all for your replies, our flight arrives about 7 in the morning so thought about coming straight to Garda then on way home doing Verona for a night.

If given the choice as a first time visitor would you choose Garda or Bardolino or any other preference.

UK
reviews: 33
5. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

Hi Bub40....difficult to advise either Bardolino or Garda.Having said that it was our first visit to lake Garda last year and we had the same dilemma. In the end we went for Bardolino, though we visited Garda twice and it is a lovely town with great ferry and bus links and lovely little shops, just as Bardolino is....but overall i do prefer Bardolino for us it just had the edge and we could walk along the lake into Lazise which we really like as a town. Also the accomadtion we looked at suited us better in Bardolino. Really though you couldnt go wrong in either town, its down to individual preference,and we have booked Bardolino again this year. Enjoy, which ever you choose.

S

Wakefield, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake Garda, Lake Garda, Nago
reviews: 61
6. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

There isn't a great deal of difference between the two but my choice would be Bardolino.

lancs
reviews: 3
7. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

well I go regularly to Garda but you can walk easily between the two.

5/6 days not a long time given the size of the lake...

You could possibly fit in the dolomites and wine tour and the lake tour they are all full days....see all the other towns on the lake if you go on 3 of the organised tours.

.I think one wine tour also takes you to Verona. so thats 3 of your days,as rthey are full days.....then you could go to Gardland another day. on the public bus.

If you go to the dolomites be sure to take a coat....it can be beautiful weather but once you get uo to the mountains it can turn,,

Belfast N. Ireland
reviews: 7
8. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

Hello Bub40 - also from Belfast, also in Garda in September. Second visit for us - stayed in Garda last time, staying in the same hotel this visit too (Hotel Roma). Haven't visited half of the towns, so can't really advise on which town, but can thoroughly recommend Hotel Roma if you choose Garda.

I am certainly no expert, but happy to advise if I can.

My first tip is that towns are also like mini regions - to give a local example, imagine looking for Lisburn and the bus passes the sign City of Lisburn at Derriaghy - it is a heck of a dander if you jump off, especially in baking sunshine (not that we get that). So first tip is sat nav (possibly on your phone) - we found that some buses announce the next stop, (pity the first one we were on did not - just north of Brenzone to Malcesine in 30 degrees was not a dander we fancied).

Personally I would not miss the cable car to Monte Baldo - every bit as breathtaking as I hoped (and a little scary as my wife feared). For me it was not cheap (about €40 for 2 return IIRC), but then nothing is around Lake Garda (in my opinion)., Cost aside, I think it is a good possibility that we will do it again I found the boats quite expensive too and the ports are not well signed (I think it was Malcesine that we were waiting at the wrong jetty) . That may be just me!

Have a lovely time - hope that you fall in love with the place like we did!

Bolton
reviews: 75
9. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

Thanks for asking the question about Garda. We are going at the end of May and welcomed the replies.

10. Re: 1st visit to Lake Garda - Help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 16, 2014