We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in the Dolomites

Which Corvara in Badia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Hiking in the Dolomites

Planning a hiking trip to the Dolomite area in September. Any suggestions for the best town to stay in as far as access to moderate hiking and access to restaurants/markets? We will be relying on public transportation.

Thank you!

27 replies to this topic
maslerdanch
reviews: 11
1. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

Have stayed on walking holidays in Corvara and Badia which are right in the central Dolomites. Good hiking at all levels, easy meadows from the door alongside harder mountain scrambles. We stayed with Collett's mountain holidays who were great. In fact we are booked to go back with them next winter for some snowshoeing. http://www.colletts.co.uk

munich
reviews: 33
2. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

As you intend to rely on public transport you should give your EXACT overall itinerary.

Where are you flying in to. What time. Flying out of. What time.

This is highly important as this will detemrine how you get to Corvara in the first place and whether or not it is a good base.

Boulder, Colorado
3. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

Flying into Venice or Milan, beginning of Sept. Want to hike in Dolomites, Lake Como area and CIncque Terre, but haven't figured out sequence or details. We have about a month to tour around, but as I said, we are relying on public transportation.

San Lorenzo di...
4. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

Hi there, September is OK, but pls. don’t forget that huts are closing on or around the 15th of September, so depending on the time you’ll be here you might have to consider this fact. “Best town” is probably hard to answer: there are so many interesting things for all tastes. Access to the mountains however is by means of public transport after the end of August a little tricky since bus time tables change from summer to autumn. While that’s a little drawback you’ll find that cable-cars and restaurants will remain open a little while longer.

Good places to stay in are the Val Badia (La Villa, Corvara, San Cassiano, San Vigilio di Marebbe), the Val Gardena (Selva, Ortisei or Santa Christina) or Cortina. The Val Pusteria to the north of the Dolomites is only interesting if you do manage to organise transport (difficult if the busses do not service all routes any more), Castelrotto and Siusi are also too far away for what you are looking for – I guess. But don’t forget the option of a hut-to-hut. The scenery is breathtaking, the food in the huts is really good (although very local), and you have lots of fun meeting other people there.

What kind of hikes are you looking for? How many hours do you want to hike, what sort of altitude you want to go to?

Boulder, Colorado
5. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

We enjoy historical and of course scenic hikes of moderate difficulty. We can hike 5-6 hours and prefer a base to doing hut to hut. We may do one night in a refugio, but otherrwise want to be close to a town to sample local foods, wines and people. We live at 6,000 feet, so overall altitude may not be an issue, although we have old knees and do not want steep downhills. Thanks for the input!

San Lorenzo di...
6. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

Hi Nycitina, I would suggest to you to stay in Corvara in the Val Badia. From here you do have immediate access into the mountains: Gherdenacia, Plan de Sas (below Boe) are right on your doorstep. Or try the Val de Mesdi that gets you right below Piz Boe. This is an interesting area since you are right on the Sella – fantastic landscape. Or if you hop on a bus (this bus runs all year round) to Sare you can access the Fanes via Capana Alpina. Here I’d suggest you stay for your one night in a hut. The Fanes is a place you won’t forget for sure. You can return to the main road on trail 12.

Corvara is also interesting if you are a wine lover.

The fact that you live at 6000 feet surely is helpful, so I am convinced you’ll enjoy your time here from the first moment on.

You can access Val Badia via a train from Bolzano. Catch a train to Fortezza and on to San Lorenzo di Sebato (this is where I live). Here you change into the bus (just 50m from the train station) into Val Badia and to Corvara.

Of course you could stay in Cortina or in Selva (Val Gardena), it’s hard to say where it’s more beautiful. In any case you’d have many options to choose from in every of these three places.

In relation to hut-closures: I have only today found out that I gave you a wrong information as to the when huts close in the Dolomites.

In fact, very few huts close around Sept. 15. Then the next round of close-downs occurs towards the end of September. From then on huts close in a weekly rhythm until beginning of November. So until beginning of October about half of the huts are still open.

I am terribly sorry for my previous incorrect information to all of you.

California
reviews: 295
7. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

Nycitina: You will love to Dolomites in September. While I would not second guess you, I wonder why you may not be renting a car. You can fly into Verona and easily drive to say, La Villa in Alta Badia. If you drive around Boulder this should be easy. You then can drive to the various towns at will and target the best lifts coming and going as you wish. You just go to AAA and for a minimal amount you get an Interntional license (a translation of your Colorada one). My knees - and the rest of me - are 70 and we just did it last September.

Boulder, Colorado
8. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

Thank you for the positive response. I will look into getting a car for that portion of our trip. It sounds like it would be easier to access the areas we would like to see. Did you and you knees have a favorite hike to recommend?

California
reviews: 295
9. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

nyctina: We took the lift at La Villa and walked from there. It is pleasant downhill back to town and at the top there are a variety of trails. Colle S. Lucia at the simmit of the pass is a lovely spot and a trailhead to the top. It is a 360 degree view of the Dolomites. There are Tabacco hiking/biking/auto maps available at the Tourist Information centers which are excellent. We also put on many miles in the small towns poking around the back streets and meeting people. It is simply amazing and we envy you your trip.

Walton, United...
reviews: 55
10. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites

Forgive my piggybacking here, but we're thinking of going to the Dolomites too this summer but in late July. Will Corvara be very busy and if so any suggestions for something a little quieter. Not sure which airport we'll fly into but most likely will hire a car so flexible.

Reply to: Hiking in the Dolomites
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Corvara in Badia