We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cortina d'Ampezzo in May

Which Cortina d'Ampezzo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Cortina d'Ampezzo in May

My wife and I will be traveling in Northern Italy for approximately two weeks in May 2014. We are interested in including the Dolomites in our itinerary. We were thinking of spending one day and night in Cortina d'Ampezzo. We are interested in what activities will be available, what facilities will be open, and what weather we are likely to encounter? We are an active couple in our 60's and enjoy easy to moderate hiking.

Edited: 10:49 pm, December 10, 2013
4 replies to this topic
San Lorenzo di...
1. Re: Cortina d'Ampezzo in May

Hi Michael,,

glad to hear you intend to visit us in the Dolomites in May. Unfortunately, in May yur options are very, very limited. You'll be able to see the Dolomites on a very interesting drive through the Dolomites (will you be motorised at all???), but as far as activities are concerned you'll be very limited. Hiking IN the Dolomites in May (now I'm talking about hiking in the mountains) is next to impossible: the snow by then is so soft it won't carry your weight and so you'll keep breaking in all the time. Also all lifts are closed by then until mid of June.

You'll be able to find accomodation, but you'll have to hunt a little for that.

Will it be woth it? YES, Michael, it will be worth every minute of it. You'll get to see a most fantastic region with astonishing cliffs, wonderfull plains and some glorious weather - normally, May is weatherwise rather good.

Hiking: as I said, up in the mountains it won't be possible, but further below you will find some great possibilities to explore and to see. If you are informed that not everything is possible you'll be prepared, and then you won't be disapointed. Come and visit us.

Gerd

Chicago
reviews: 2
2. Re: Cortina d'Ampezzo in May

We will be traveling to Venice-Paris in late May 2014 and would like to go to Dolomites in between.

I have been reading mixed reviews about visiting at that time of the year. We love to hike and would love to be able to do (at least) some hiking. As of now, we have 5days (between Paris/Venice) open for possibilities.

I would be grateful for any advice.

If Dolomites are not the best option, any other suggestions for hiking destinations on Venice-Paris route?

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 1
3. Re: Cortina d'Ampezzo in May

Hi Gred

do u think it is possible to make a hiking trip looping tre cime in may ? we r planning to do a short hiking trip around cortina on 5/17.

thanks

San Lorenzo di...
4. Re: Cortina d'Ampezzo in May

Hi Casey,

keep checking the webcam on http://www.dreizinnenhuette.com/ (at the bottom of the website - you've got to scroll down!!!), there you'll get a good idea of what the situation is like. What you can see are the northern faces of the Tre Cime. The trail you intend to do crosses the flat section on the foto.

Right now it's only passable if you have propper gear - otherwise you just get stuck in the snow. I guess it won't be possible to hike around there mid May, sorry.

Reply to: Cortina d'Ampezzo in May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted