We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

Which Civitavecchia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
west palm beach, FL
cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

Will be arriving Civitavecchia June 16 by cruise ship and doubt that I will have any money left after 12 days with RCL The ships transfer is an absolute ripoff. Am flying out of FCO in the afternoon so have plenty of time. Have done Rome on previous trip . so would appreciate any info on bus or train to airport. Thank you

Edited: 6:26 am, April 06, 2011
hong kong
reviews: 10
21. Re: cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

Hi

We are finished with a cruise on a Sunday and would like to rent a car at Civitavecchi and drop my mother off at Rome airport and then continue on our one week trip to Tuscany. I'm having trouble finding car rental places open on a Sunday. Of course, the option is to get a transfer to Rome airport and rent from there but trying to avoid the extra private transfer charge if possible. Any suggestions?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
22. Re: cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

Please do not ask the same question twice, or tag an irrelevant question onto the end of an existing thread. These both lead to confusion.

Naples, Florida
23. Re: cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

We ended our cruise at Civitavecchia on May 10, 2012. We had done Rome to Civitavecchia on the train struggling with 2 large suitcases, 1 garment bag, and 2 shoulder bags. Not fun. For our return to FCO from the cruise port we chose RomeCab based on good reports posted on Trip Advisor. The arrangements were made quickly and easily via email and the cost was less than half of what the cruise line quoted for an equivalent service. The driver arrived at the ship 25 minutes early in a spanking new mini van. In about 45 hassle free minutes we arrived at our departure terminal at FCO. Okay, its more expensive than the train but a lot less stressful. Based on our experience we highly recommend RomeCab.

Travel for a Living
24. Re: cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

Frank, or anyone else, How did you know what cab to go to, when you disembarked? How many other couples were with you, & how much was it? I plan on being one of first off of ship.

Thanks!

Travel for a Living
25. Re: cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

How challenging was it to find a random shuttle, the other couples, and negotiate the price? Do you recall how much it was PP??

Was it fairly easy to find the legitimate independent operator?

Also, how "were" you going to find your pre-arranged transportation--that didn't show up?

I, too, want to try for my first flight option out--but I do have back-up.

Thanks!

Naples, Florida
26. Re: cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

The taxis and shuttles park outside Customs. When you exit the drivers are all holding signs with your name displayed. We did not attempt to contact other passengers to share the cost. Total cost was 105 Euro. If I remember correctly the train from FCO into Rome and subsequent train(cattle car) to Civitavecchia cost approx 65 euro for 2 plus van (10 euro)from the train station to the ship. I don't recall seeing any shuttles at the train station to the ship. At the cruise port Customs Building there were shared shuttles available that had a set price for the trip to FCO. If you have plenty of time to catch your flight this would probably be a good option depending on the size of your ship. Bigger ships mean more pax and more competition for the seats on the shuttles. If I were to do it again I'd go for Rome Cab. So easy and no stress.

Travel for a Living
27. Re: cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

Thanks very much, Frank! I've come around to your wise observations and experience.

--Brent

28. Re: cheapest way to get to FCO aftr cruise ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 11, 2013